The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put seachem tabs in my sub with a 4-6 inch radius or so.am i getting the same effect as a layer of seachem flourite or other layers?thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you so much booger:) .i guess what i was looking for was will it suffice for now or no its worthless or its soso,my planted tank has kinda evolved from a sword or two for a little cover to full blown planted so i just added the tabs instead of a total revamp of the substrate.dont worry i like a good joke,just for the record there are no feathers in my butt.:icon_eek: thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will also be nice since you guys are fellow oregonians,i was born and raised there and now i know where you get your sense of humor.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The root tabs will be ok, but if you're not dosing the water column, that's where you'll run into trouble. I think there are many threads on here discussing that. No matter what substrate you use, dosing the water column is the best method for consistent healthy growth. I currently am doing a low tech 10 gallon which has straight inert gravel, but I am dosing the water column. You can grow pretty much anything you want with the right amount and type of light, fert schedule, and CO2 or equivalent. The substrate is more for the plants to anchor themselves than anything, if you are dosing the water column.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i do dose with seachem flourish two capfuls a week,just kinda on tuesday or thursday or monday.does keeping a schedule work better or better for plants.i do water change every two weeks,so not alot of build up i dont think but my fish population is very low ,bioload wise.so i can get away with with longer between water changes.i do have diy co2 and 160 watts on a 60g.thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im sorry you guys lost me on the flourish.what do you mean by traces??if this is not good or even great i will change supplements.like i said fairly new to planted tanks.i mean i understand by traces you mean just trace amounts of the stuff thats in there,iron,magnesium,etc.so the stuff that gets in my water is not sufficent?would like some help.thanks.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Typically, "traces" refers to any element or mineral that plants use that is not nitrogen, potassium, or phosphorous (NPK). (Although some people include some other elements in that group, such as calcium and sulfur.)

Seachem Flourish is primarily a trace element mix, but it also contains small amounts of nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous, as well as protein hydrolysates or hydrolyzed collagen. It's regarded by many (including Greg Watson) as one of the best trace element mixes available.

·
Are these real?
15,726 Posts
Ooookay, to get from protein hydrolysates and hydrolyzed collagen back to the original and follow up questions...

1) Flourite vs gravel enriched with root tabs -- Substrates like Flourite, Eco Complete etc have a good nutrient exchange capacity, that is they can suck up nutrients and keep them plant available. They are not that nutrient rich all by themselves, so supplementing them with some fert sticks isn't that bad of an idea. Gravel on the other hand doesn't bind much nutrients, so you need to supplement more, and they might leach into the water column if you overdo it.

2) Plants need both macros and micros. With Flourish (and Seachem tabs) providing micros, you need to consider adding macros (NPK) as well to keep things healthy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys,so i am adding micros with the tabs and the flourish.what do i need to add macros?is there a product that is a all around favorite?i will probably countinue to add to the roots of my big plants or the ones that feed more from their root,the swords and the crypt.the reason it came up is my anacharis is turning yellow,the reds are not so red.everything else is exploding,the crypt,the ludwigia,and the swords.thanks.can i get a little more oinfo on micros and macros?thanks.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Anyone know the shelf life of the Seachem tabs? I found some in an old aquarium "stuff" box. They're probably about 5 years old. I'm guessing I could try them but was just wondering.....

Thanks

Ed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts