The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a nightmare getting my phosphate levels up. I've been dumping Seachem's stuff in for a week now, and the levels are staying VERY low--around 0.03ppm. In my reef tanks, I had to pay for stuff to keep the levels this low (reefing is backwards from planted tanks). I decided to test the Seachem supplement with a Salifert test. Guess what--it tested at 0.1ppm. I'm frankly stunned, as this means it is mostly water, with very little phosphate in it. Has anyone else had this problem, or is it just a bad batch?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Which Seachem stuff are you talking about? If it's Flourish, I wouldn't expect much phosphates in it. You probably want Flourish Phosphorus if you are trying to up P.

Either way, liquid ferts ARE mostly water. Why don't you just order some bulk dry ferts from Greg Watson or a local hydroponics store?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably will. I was hoping to get away with the liquids, as I've done the powder stuff with my reef and it's a RPITA.

EDIT--Yes, it was the phosphorous additive.

Is iron available as a dry fert? I've had trouble with that, too.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I probably will. I was hoping to get away with the liquids, as I've done the powder stuff with my reef and it's a RPITA.

EDIT--Yes, it was the phosphorous additive.

Is iron available as a dry fert? I've had trouble with that, too.
Yep. mostly water. personally I like liquid dosing since that gets dispersed quicker and makes syringe use for doseing alot easier.

All SEachem type ferts are also avalible in dry form equivilants from Greg watson.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
yep...also have someone take your picture when you stand in like at the pharmacy checkout armed with nothing more than 5 fleet enimas :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The Fleet Enema trick from Wasserpest will get you by. In terms of "roll your own" dosing there is dry dose (Duh) and PMDD (ie. make your own liquid 1/2L at a time).

A long (and old) article on PMDD:
Practical PMDD Information

While I acquired the PMDD locally (ECO Enterprises, a local hydroponics store), the Greg Watson products are very nice!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.