The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new bottle of seachem prime. I popped open the saftey seal and noticed the prime has a black color to it. It looks like little black flakes in the solution. Is it bad? Ths is all I have right now and just did a water change so I hope this stuff works even with the weird color.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe I shoudl take it back. I was kinda ify about ti too. I hope my fish dont start to croak!:(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wait a second.. you're saying that the whole solution is black like coca cola? Or does it mostly look clear with black flecks in it? If it's the latter, then it's normal.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I just got my first bottle of Prime a few days ago and it's clear with little black flakes in it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Okay just got home and I checked my Prime and it has a darkish tint to the liquid. It isn't crystal clear like water or "Pepsi":). So I would say you are safe. Can you return the bottle you have now for a new one?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Got my first bottle about 2 weeks ago. It has what looks like black dust particals floating in it, but that isn't what got me.

The stuff stinks...as in smells very bad. Is that the norm as well? Between it and Excel, Im glad I dont work at seachem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes thats normal. It stinks - and the stink actually gets worse the older the product is. The black particles are normal and the liquid can be tan to brown.
All normal - i e-mailed Seachem before and those were their answers.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to the LFS to exchange it. This stuff wasas if you get the charcoal remains after its all burnt out mix it with water and thats the end result. I have been using this product from day one of the hobby and never seen it so black. I also get some black flakes in there but it never looked this black.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
I have seen Prime with a darkish cast to it and never really gave it too much mind. I used it with no noticeable effect.

Maybe I should have......?

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts