The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I edited the post after I saw it had more calcium. That was the first question I asked, And again I wonder if anybody used it. Should I not ask questions about substrate in the substrate forum?

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
I use onyx sand, flourite red, eco, soilmaster select red, soilmaster select charcoal, and some tanks have a mixture of any of those. I pick the color I want to use, haven't found any noticeable difference except color after the tank gets settled.......DC

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Diablo, I want black so I am thinking Eco. I understand I will need to do large water changes to get the hardness and phosphate down as some people have had problems. Would it not be better to wash the Eco first and possibly eliminate the problem before it starts. What would I lose but a quicker cycle? And I do understand washing Eco is not required

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have 2 tanks with the Onyx sand and haven't seen any noticeable changes in water chemistry. I think as long as you do regular water changes it doesn't make a difference. I wouldn't use the Onyx gravel as the pieces are pretty large, though it might be ok for a cichlid tank.

David

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Thanks Diablo, I want black so I am thinking Eco. I understand I will need to do large water changes to get the hardness and phosphate down as some people have had problems. Would it not be better to wash the Eco first and possibly eliminate the problem before it starts. What would I lose but a quicker cycle? And I do understand washing Eco is not required
I just opened the bags and put them into tanks. Eco is the only substrate I have used that did not need rinsed first to prevent cloudiness.......DC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.