The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The formula on the Seachem Nitrogen said the dosage can be calculated using 0.25vn=m. (v = tank volume in gallon, n = desire increase in nitrate/nitrogen in mg/L, m=amount of dosage in mL)

So based on the formula, if I want to increase a 3 gallon tank nitrate by 10ppm, i should dose 0.25 x 3 x 10 = 7.5mL?

Is this correct? The number seems MUCH higher than the suggested dosage! (about 30x higher...)
Does nitrate in mg/L = ppm? Am I missing something here or Seachem is just being extremely conservative in their suggested dosage?

*btw..my tank has 0 nitrate now, I want to bring the nitrate to about 10ppm. I assume 10ppm nitrate should be safe for fish/shrimps.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
all looks right to me.
and nitrate is ok up to 40ppm. i think that i read in one of tom barrs posts that nitrogen ferts arent as toxic as nitrates derived from ammonia. could be wrong. might have drank too much that night and completely misunderstood that. or i could have made it up all together. who knows...

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope that these calculators help you.

Most of Seachem's planted products have their own individual calculators.
http://www.seachem.com/Library/Calculators.html

Here is another Seachem calculator that is based on their dosing chart. It is in Microsoft Office Excel 2003 format. It is the attachment at the bottom of the first post.

The fertfriend and the fertilator are two more calculators for Seachem's plant products.
Wow, that's great!!
Thanks so much! The calculator kinda confirmed my calculation....but I am still worry about dosing more than a cap full on a 3 gallon tank...haha

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yeah that sounds about right! Seachem ferts are mostly water. Not nearly as concentrated as one would think. Before I actually bought dry ferts I was spending a fortune on seachem products to dose properly.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Wow, that's great!!
Thanks so much! The calculator kinda confirmed my calculation....but I am still worry about dosing more than a cap full on a 3 gallon tank...haha
If you want to make some fert solutions using dry chemicals that are the same strength as Seachem's; here is the information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.