The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Seachem Nitrate test kit from Drsfosterandsmith.com today and I decided to try it out. It comes with a reference sample that contains 10 mg/l (ppm) of water which I can use to test the accuracy. I put 2 dropers (full to the base of the bulb) into the test cavity, 1 drop of the nitrite solution, and 1 level scoop of the nitrate powder. I mixed and waited a few minutes.. The color is light pink and according to the chart its showing it between 2 to 5 ppm MAX, looked to me more like 2 ppm.

I even mixed my own sample using 4.2 grams of Potassium Nitrate (from gregwatson) into a 250ml bottle of drinking water which is nitrate free, then poured 5ml of that solution into a 1 gallon bottle of water (also nitrate free). I shook it, tested that water and again showed no more than about 2 to 5 ppm. It should have tested at 12 or 13.

The phospate test kit was ok though.

Needless to say, Im disappointed in this test kit. I think I'm going to try to get a refund or exchange. Do you think I got a bad test kit? Are the colors off for everyone else too? Should I use a different test kit like AP maybe?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I have both the Ap & SeaChem.
In the Ap test, I've gotten 3 different results (Anywhere from 1 to 20) from the same water depending on how long you shake the second solution, and the test vial.

The SeaChem test kit color scheme is a bit of a PITA to read, but I get consistant results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts