The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I dose micros in my 40 b my amano shrimp seem stressed. I follow the dosing on the back of the bottles and dose alternating days for macros and micros as well as excel. I have a water change day too. The blue rili seem to be ok. Any ideas? They really seem to get upset when I add the trace. They all start swimming quickly around the tank and eventually settle. Takes them about 15 minutes to settle. I'm using seachem right now but switching to EI method once the seachem runs out. Thanks

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Maybe set up a drip system for the fertilizers? Just a container you can put some tank water into, put the fertilizers into it, then, using air line tubing, place one end in the container, one in the aquarium, with an air valve on the end to control how fast it drips into the aquarium?

·
Registered
651 Posts
What kind of Seachem fertilizer are you using? Flourish? Flourish Trace?

I use regular Flourish and my shrimp don't seem to mind. However, I don't use CSM-B in my shrimp tanks. Or Osmocote. My shrimp don't seem to like it. Maybe because of the boron?

Are you sure your amanos are stressed? Maybe they're just curious. Do they react the same way to water changes?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using flourish and trace. I was planning on using csm+b when my seachem runs out. I'm not sure they're stessed. They do react the same to water changes. But my blue rili don't react like that. They're also very reactive to feeding time. I've noticed the flourish comp has a smell to it. Maybe it's that? I dose that right before the trace. I've got baby blue rili who don't even react to what I'm dosing. I like the drip idea. I'll have to do that when I start EI method. Thanks.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I think your amanos are reacting normally to a change in the tank. They're curious. In the wild, a change in water parameters might mean food - a stream flowing in nearby, say.

Amanos tend to react a lot more than neocaridina shrimp, IME. They are bolder and more aggressive, and will be the first to check out anything new in the tank.

I wouldn't worry about them. They sound perfectly normal to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.