The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Spot dosing neat Excel will definitely burn Christmas moss (been there done that!). But I had no issues with the moss doing the daily dosing at the full strength as per Seachem's recommendations on the bottle (one big dose followed by smaller doses for the rest of the week).

Having said that, I find hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) much better for dealing with hair algae on my Christmas moss. Being shrimp safe is also a big bonus. 1.5ml of 3% h202 per 4.5 litres of tank water seems to work well, repeated daily for 2 or 3 days for stubborn hair algae.

There are several great threads on this forum, for example:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23-algae/203684-one-two-punch-whole-tank-algae-treatment.html

Regards, James

Shermanpm said:
I just added Armani’s and cherry shrimp. What’s the odds of killing them with the peroxide?
Absolutely 100% completely zero. So long as you use the right hydrogen peroxide at the right dose then the h202 is completely shrimp safe; actually it is beneficial to shrimp and they seem to enjoy the bubbles!

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th3FFTiuzJo

One thing I have recently discovered (from that thread I linked in my first reply above) is that good flow in the tank during the treatment make sit work even better. You don't want flow going through your filter (might harm good bacteria), so remove foam filters and use other pumps and/or powerheads to move the water around within the tank during the hour of treatment. Direct flow onto you problem areas.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I administer whole tank treatments of Excel using the prescribed dosage at water changes as an algae prevention tool. I have red cherry shrimp and nerites in my tank. I haven't seen any shrimp deaths, I can't confirm whether it affects breeding but I don't think so. I would be less likely to use it if I was breeding more sensitive shrimp species though but neocardinia are pretty hardy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.