The Planted Tank Forum banner

Seachem Excel with high lighting?

3057 5
1. Can Seachems Excel be used with 4-5 watts per gallon lighting?
2. How do you check co2 levels?
3. If the Excel is not enough to supply propper amounts of co2 under high lighting conditions can it be supplemented with the old 2liter bottle with yeast and sugar water? (D.Y.I. co2 system)
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yeah, it can be supplemented. Thats what I'm doing right now. Just be careful to not overdose on either of those two.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I wouldn't recommend relying on Excel with that level of lighting. Excel is always helpful to give your plants a little extra boost but it is not an adequate source for CO2/carbon supplementation when light levels are really high. Plants are easily starved for carbon as light levels increase, at a certain level you really need pressurized CO2 to make it work.

You can't check "CO2 levels" if you are using Excel as a carbon source.

There is no reason that Excel can't be used concurrently with actual CO2. Depending on the size of your tank (and intensity of light) you may be able to use DIY CO2 but it is hard to generate enough to keep levels stable.

Why do you need to use so much light? Especially if you aren't going to use pressurized CO2?

·
Registered
21,007 Posts
dose wit excel, iron, and potassium. and u should be fine i know a guy who does this who has a 1000watts over a 175 gal and his results are excellent.
I knew a guy, when I was in college physic lab, who routinely grabbed onto both wires of a 110 volt power cord. He had no problems with it. Somehow I don't think that justifies me saying that you should go ahead and do that.

If you have 1000 watts over a 175 gallon tank, that could be a heater, with the glowing coils aimed at the tank. Or it could be incandescent flood lights. Or it could be MH lights mounted 4 feet above the tank. Or, who knows what else. And, if he has a very rich, nutrient laden substrate his fertilizing regime could be adequate. None of that means someone should assume that 1000 watts of T5HO lighting sitting on the top of a 20 inch deep 175 gallon tank is a good idea, nor that dosing only excel, iron and potassium for that tank is a good idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.