The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plant to use 100% RO water for my new OEBT shrimp tank, and I was wondering if anyone had experience using Seachem equilibrium to raise the gh slightly and to remineralize RO water.

How much should I use for shrimp? Tank will be 5 gallons.

I will also be using Fluval Shrimp Stratum.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Honestly if you just want to raise your GH or KH use baking SODA and epsom salt. If I remember right its epsom salt for GH and the baking soda for the KH. Thats all these products are anyway. Usually with calcium and other stuff added in.

Mix one teaspoon with a cup of water and bam youve got your GH/KH buffering solution.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Do you mean normal Seachem Equilibrium, and not some sort of "Seachem Equilibirum for Shrimp" new thing? Because Equilibrium is just GH booster. I wouldn't think that it's 'junk', it's just way overpriced. If you want to add some hardness back, get GH booster from an aquarium fertilizer seller online and it will be much cheaper.

I'm not sure how much the booster raises GH. But I'm sure if you look around you'll find something along the lines of X tsp of GH Booster raises water hardness Y degrees per Z gallons. And then you can adjust it to your tank size and the degree hardness you want.

I know people add GH booster to RO water all the time. My shrimp tank doesn't use RO water, but my water is very soft and I used GH booster, mostly for micronutrients.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have it and don't like it,don't use it!!! When I would get my gH where I wanted my TDS would be thorough the roof. R/O tap water mix works nice to get your pH where you want it but it is hard to get your gH, kH, pH and TDS from that mix right at least for me. I use R/O tap and Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement and like it.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
GH booster I think should also have calcium in it.

What I don't like about the Seachem product is it clouds the water for a couple days at the recommended dose. I've tried premixing it in a 55g drum and it settles out in the bottom. I have a feeling there's something in it that will never dissolve.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Honestly if you just want to raise your GH or KH use baking SODA and epsom salt. If I remember right its epsom salt for GH and the baking soda for the KH. Thats all these products are anyway. Usually with calcium and other stuff added in.

Mix one teaspoon with a cup of water and bam youve got your GH/KH buffering solution.
Just so you know im not pulling this out of my ass, I have personally used it on my tanks and tested the results with the API liquid drop test kits.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just so you know im not pulling this out of my ass, I have personally used it on my tanks and tested the results with the API liquid drop test kits.
Ha, I know you aren't. I have actually considered doing this. But to simplify things I want to do an RO/Well mix if at all possible.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i use this stuff, and it has its place. it is expensive, but it is more than just calcium and magnesium. there are many other substances in its formula.

I find the cloudiness clears rather rapidly with CO2 injection

·
Banned
943 Posts
i use this stuff, and it has its place. it is expensive, but it is more than just calcium and magnesium. there are many other substances in its formula.

I generally find the more 'stuff' in something, the more the likely shrimp might have an issue with it. Thats just my philosphy on it though.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agreed I looked at what is in the Seachem equilibrium and it seems to be mainly potassium.....

Won't be going with that.

Shrimp like stability, not a mectric ton of stuff dumped into their water. If possible I won't be using any water conditioners whatsoever, just plain water.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I'm sure it does has it's place, but after doing some further research I don't believe it's place is in a shrimp tank.

I won't be injecting CO2 into this tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.