The Planted Tank Forum banner

Seachem Equalibrium HELP!!!

1191 4
I have some questions about Equalibrium that someone may be able to answer. I keep my RO water in a 44 gal can and like to mix the equalibrium in the can. I have 4 tanks of all different sizes when mixing the equalibrium in the can should i mix the recommended amount based on the 44 gals of the can or should i just forget about mixing it in the can and mix each tanks separately based on the recommendation for that sized aquarium. Also, do I add the same recommended amount every time I do a water change? I guess most ppl may just test their water and when GH is low add the necessary amount. I dont test for GH so that is not an option. Any helpful advice???
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have a 50g RO reservoir, I pre mix a 5gallon dose of equilibrium with 500ml of water And keep it in small bottles on hand, then mix accordingly as I add straight RO to the tanks. I do this because sometimes it doesn't dissolve right away and clouds the tank if added straight to aquarium. I always do water changes in multiples of 5 gallons to keep it simple.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I would dissolve in water the amount of Equilibrium for each tank's volume of water being changed, then use that.

I have one 10 gallon tank and I mix the Equilibrium in the new water before I put it in.

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
Always base your recipe on the volume of water you are treating. For water changes, you want to treat the new water, so read the label and figure out how much you need to treat that much.
I have always done a batch prep, putting whatever minerals I want in a garbage can and filling it with water. For the Rubbermaid Brute 44 gallon, I treat it as 40 gallons, since I don't fill it all the way to the brim.
Equilibrium is difficult to dissolve. I will put the amount I want in a well sealed jar (1/2 pint canning jar) with some water, and shake it a lot. Then pour the dissolved material (milky water) into the can, and add more water. Repeat until it is all dissolved. There may be a few flakes that will not dissolve. Toss them into the can with everything else.
Then circulate the water with a fountain pump until everything is well blended, and other additives are dissolved.

If any of the tanks require harder water there are two possible ways to do this:
a) Do the other (softer water) tanks first, leaving just enough water in the can to finish the last tank, and add more Equilibrium to the can to treat the amount of water in the can.
b) Dose extra Equilibrium into the hard water tank as you are refilling.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so you are pretty much confirming that what i do is right. Others were confusing me but I just put it in the 44 gallon just like you said and i run an airstone and a 1600GPH powerhead to circulate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.