The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reposting here to get some more opinions...

Salt? Yeah containing 90+ minerals and trace elements, and over 50,000 organic compounds!!! Do I have your attention ???

Here is a link to SeaAgri's site showing some pretty impressive reviews... From a couple of aquarium owners. One using it for his cichlids, another using as salt in his reef tank. And review from fish and shrimp farms! http://www.seaagri.com/aquaponics.htm
Ok folks listen up because this isn't your average salt.
From sea Agri's site
"Why SEA-90 is So Special ?

SeaAgri is a “green” technology company. No fossil fuels are expended during the creation of SEA-90 marine mineral solids. The work is done entirely by nature's natural forces. Tidal action moves sea water inland eight miles (12.87 Km) three times each year. Our estuary is one foot (30 cm) below sea level. We created enormous retention ponds in the estuary that fill with approximately six inches (15 cm) of mineral rich sea water. Once trapped, the water is naturally dehydrated by the sun.
SEA-90 marine mineral solids created in this specific location are unique in their mineral and trace element density due to five major factors:

First
SEA-90 is created from a sea enriched with billions of tons of top soil deposited by a powerful river into its delta for millions of years.

Second
Mineral rich Pacific Ocean water with its 85 known elements blends with our sea water to add even more mineral balance.

Third
Rare earth elements (PDF) are added to this sea water mix from geothermal vents along a fault line on the sea bottom.

Fourth
The location’s climate has average temperatures exceeding 100° F (37° C) and less than one-half inch (1.25 cm) annual rainfall guaranteeing quick solar dehydration and a complete mineral package since no elements are leached away.

Fifth
And increasingly important, the area is extremely remote and remains pollution free."

So it's basically untreated sea salt... Not quite, here's link to analysis, it's contains over 90 minerals and trace elements !!!!
http://www.seaagri.com/docs/seawater.pdf

Now listen, I'm not talking about making your tank brackish or anything, (but if your have brackish tanks this will be WAY better than any salt you use now IMO).

It has also been shown to be the only know "pro-biotic" salt, so it should make benificial bacteria in our tanks flourish

I've used it on my haskap berries as foliar spray for past couple years and they make berries 2x as large as before constantly now, And I swear they taste better

In very small doses this might do some amazing things. I just set up my first planted tank,went with Dirt and made a well amended mineralized topsoil. So I won't be putting anything in other than water. But when everything is well establish in a month or so I may try mixing in 1/8th tsp during a water change in the 20gallon. See what happens

What are your thoughts on This stuff??

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody? What about using it to re-mineralize R.O. Water?? The ultimate Trace element supplement??

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
It's sea salt.... I doubt the claims live up to the hype, but I also find gardeners of all kinds are notoriously more afraid of salt than necessary. Sodium and Chloride are both beneficial to plants in very small doses, but burn the heck out of them in high doses.

I also don't think fertilizing plants with 90+ minerals is going to be of any benefit when most of those are not known to be metabolized by plants... Mercury? Tungsten? Gold? Lead? These elements are of no use to plants, but are some of the trace elements in seawater.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's funny...I was thinking this would be better than instant ocean... It's like Instant "real" ocean.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Yeah, but is "real" ocean actually a good thing?

Freshwater plants don't grow in ocean water...

So, is there anything in real ocean water that isn't in instant ocean that has benefit to plants? Adding a lot of "ultra trace" minerals is of no benefit if the desirable tank inhabitants don't actually use them in some way.

Probably a better ultra-trace source for freshwater planted aquariums would be dirt. Freshwater plants live rainwater and dirt after all. And dirt contains quite a lot of ultra trace elements, thousands of organics, etc, without nearly as much sodium chloride.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have convinced a LFS with owner involved in planted tanks for 30+ years to test dosing some corals with it, possibly test small doses on some established planted tanks as well. I will post updates after we observe the results.

I admit many of the elements in SEA90 seem useless, and maybe even harmful... But they are in such ridiculously small "trace amounts" that there is no harm. The elements are in an oxidized soluable form. I've mixed up mineralized drinking water with it many times(recommended 1lb-200gallons ratio) and had no ill effect.
The truth is that plants/animals use many elements that we are unaware of, in ways we still don't even know.
I like to think of it as giving your plants the periodic the table, and letting them decide what they want. Kind of my gardening method, it might not be good for the aquarium though. Time will tell!! Stay tuned!

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Some fish can live in brackish water.
Some plants can also.
The rest have, for countless generations...not had salt in their water.
The useful minerals in that stuff can be added by using other things which don't have salt in it.
To fish that have no salt in the water where they normally live, the salt is an irritant.
Take this info and do/w it as you please.
I have already made up my mind what I will do with it.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Ray,

Personally, I find salt in the 10's of ppm ranges to be beneficial to plants, probably because chloride is an essential micronutrient.

Also, keep in mind that pretty much all "fresh" water in nature contains traces of salt on this kind of order. Pretty much anything under 500ppm (0.5ppt) is considered freshwater.
Brackish water is in the ppt, not ppm, ranges, 0.5ppt up to about 30ppt.

In those ranges even nitrate will readily kill plants. 30ppt = 30000ppm, can you picture putting that much KNO3 in your tank?

Concentrations matter, and "brackish" and "salt" water both contain really absurd concentrations of salt in comparison to anything that we put into freshwater. All of the fertilizer, micronutrient, and CO2 dosing levels we use are trivial... Even GH, 500ppm would be 27.9 dGH and that's just the minimum to be considered "brackish"...

Do you know anyone with a tank at GH >25? I suppose it is possible, but talk about liquid rock....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I considered GH, mine is almost 16 from the tap, ph 8:icon_frow. Like limestone on tap. Water already has too high of mineral content and more would probably be bad for me.
But the LFS Owner I spoke with uses an RO system and mixes his own water, and uses root tabs and doses the water colum, no dirt lol. So his tests should make for some definitive results. I'm really expecting it to be much more useful for his corals and salt tanks, but this stuff has surprised me before.
I never thought spraying sea salt on my vegetables would work, but for two years now my garden has been much larger and healthier. Weird how terrestrial plants that haven't lived underwater for thousands of years, still retain the ability to absorb nutrients through their leaves, and in many cases much more efficiently than through the roots...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I did some talking with my plant guy and he is going to test on some coral, and use some to re-mineralize RO water for a planted tank.
Going to start with hard water tolerant plants, Vals, Anubias, ferns, crypts. I have to wait for results from him. He has all the fancy water parameter gauges and meters to track everything. He also has established tanks that he will easily be able to see a change in plant growth and such. Cool to see this go from an idea to a full out experiment!
He has many orders coming in during the next two weeks so it may be a while till next update, but the test is on!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts