The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have very soft water, GH and KH close to zero. I also have surface scum and would like to get some fish that could take care of that problem for me. I know mollies eat it, but they tend to die quickly in soft acidic water.

Is there any softwater fish that eats surface scum?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Instead of looking for fish why don't you find a way to "suck" the surface of the water and incorporate it in the water body. That takes care of all surface problems - scum or debries.

There are 3 ways to do this:

1. Surface skimmer
Ugly piece of equipment that you add to the suction of your filter. Adjusts itself to the water level. Easy to install.

2. Powerhead
Position it very carefully close to the water surface. It should form a barely noticeable vortex that sucks the surface. Also with proper positioning the outflow will stir the surface and incorporate it gradually in the water body. Downside of using a powerhead is the frequent adjustment of the pump depth. If the tank is open top adjustment is needed 1-2 times a day.

3. ADA lilly pipe
The Bugatti of it all. Beautiful and functional. Worth the money. I heard that cheap designs made by other companies can't produce a vortex like the original ADA lilly pipe, but I haven't personally tried them.

http://www.aquatic-plants.org/gallery/album42

--Nikolay

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a open rimless tank with no visible equipment on it, everything is plumbed inline so I really don't want any equipment to solve this problem.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Many Labyrinth fish do what you are looking for.

If you have a densely planted large tank, my recommendation would be T. leeri (Pearl Gourami) which are among the most beautiful freshwater fish available. They are a bit skittish though at first, so with an open tank they might end up surfing the carpet.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks wasserpest, I'll look into that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is there any labyrinth fish that is not a big jumper? This search of mine for a surface scum eater that fits for my tank is not going to well :-\

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mollies arent very happy in very soft and acidic water. Maybe I'll get a few and see how they do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts