The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been moving my plants and shrimp over from a 10g to a 20H and of course I brought some scuds with me. I have decided to start over and eliminate the scuds as I believe they may be why my peacock moss has struggled for awhile when at one time i had a huge tree of it. I am going to completely strip the 20H back down, wash it well with a hose and bleach before I set it back up with new substrate. I hate to lose my plants, especially the moss, so I was thinking of putting them in a tupperware style bowl, fill it with sparkling water, and placing a lid on it at least over night. Those of you that have fought scuds, what do you think the chances of this working actually are? OH, and I am going to boil the driftwood thats in it to kill any scuds hiding in there.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@vajcher91 The wood has been bleeding tannins like you wouldnt believe and I thought I would go ahead and get the rest out while I was at it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, except for the beach part. Could you substitute baking soda and a dish scrubby for the tank clean?

Do you actually know if the scuds are damaging the moss? I ask because we have a semi-aquatic temperate moss in a splash zone on our stream, that Scuds live in and around the mulm that collects on this moss, yet it grows well despite their presence.

The other treatment for the plants would be place the plants in with some adult fish for a while and let them hunt out and eat the scuds. I know our White Clouds and the Rosy Barbs love Scuds.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can eliminate the bleach. Its going to be mid 90's here, I could just wash it well with water and let it sit out in the sun for half a day. I doubt it would make it through that. As for the moss, it was doing really really well until I started noticing the scuds. The more scuds I saw the worse the moss did. I may just toss the moss and get new, I hate to do that though as at one time that moss went from a really small portion to almost being like a tree on the driftwood.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well from experience. Scuds can eat plants. I had S. Repens and they pretty much ate the leaves and left the stem. Heard they cn eat mosses too but I've never seen them eat mosses. Might depend on what species of scuds they are. Best way to get rid of them in the moss is to just let your fishes go at them lol.

As for cleaning the tank. I wouldnt use the dish scrubby cause it can scratch your tank up pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.