The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am looking to buy a cud culture asap. They will live in a lowes tote that about 18 gal its been sitting outside for about 3 months the subtrate is coconut fiber mixed with a little gravel. the color used to be all murky but now it looks like a blackwater setup color. so mebbe its cycled? there's no filter but I have a little bit of Salvinia minima. The bin is in mostly shade. I plan to get 200 scuds and alot of daphnia. will this work? tips? I have never kept aquatic creatures outdoors before.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I keep seed shrimp or some such that I harvested in a seasonal pond in an 18 gallon tub.

I have some hornwart in there and I throw in a couple algae wafers from time to time to keep them going.

I have tried using an aquarium with a sponge filter, and feeding the yeast concoction often mentioned in instructional videos.

The cultures would die off regardless.

For me, just an old tub and algae wafers work much better!

·
Super Moderator
15,245 Posts
Daphnia and seed shrimp will work way better. Their populations grow really quickly.

I've had scud cultures in the past and they tend to eat any plants I'm trying to grow out. Like every last bit eaten. All of them. Will eat shrimp, too. Little monsters.

Any idea what the water temperature will be there in TX? May impact the lifespan and breeding of anything you decide to keep.

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now it's 70s cuz of rain, but normally it's 75-85 at this time and then 90s at the end of June and July. I wanted scuds because they are a bit larger right? I have goldfish and bettas so will they be ably to eat such tiny things?

Daphnia and seed shrimp will work way better. Their populations grow really quickly.

I've had scud cultures in the past and they tend to eat any plants I'm trying to grow out. Like every last bit eaten. All of them. Will eat shrimp, too. Little monsters.

Any idea what the water temperature will be there in TX? May impact the lifespan and breeding of anything you decide to keep.
Are you saying daphnia is better min general, or better for outside?

Also what species of daphnia? I need something live that won't stink that can feed larger fish.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,245 Posts
Daphnia is probably better in general and better outside. Just about any kind of 'seed' shrimp or ostracod will be easier. But scuds really are good for larger fish. If you do try scuds, since they're obviously larger, you'll be able to use them to clean up uneaten food from your tanks, random bits of veggies and any kind of plant waste you've got. Just don't try to keep them with any kind of aquatic plant you actually want to keep.

Have you considered vinegar eels or some other kind of worm for feeding? May be worth starting a few cultures of worms in addition to anything you decide to grow outside. I've never had anything stink or be too gross to keep around the house.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The last worm I tried was white worms and the stank really bad. my family said no more cultures after that. I convinced them that scuds and daphnia live in water do that's very different from worms.

I will try both. How many scuds/ daphnia should I have to start? One EBay for about 100 scuds it's like 30 bucks. Do I need that many? Also should I keep both together? I have a 2.5 gal tank I could use for one and a 5 gal bucket for the other. Both have sponge filters. I might skip the whole outside idea, because I don't know how I would get a filter out there.

·
Super Moderator
15,245 Posts
I think you'll need your temps under 80F in order for scuds to be successful on the breeding front. They should be okay at 80-85F. And dwarf shrimp temperatures for daphnia to succeed - anything above low-mid 70s will likely be their demise.

100 scuds seems like it could work with plenty of hiding places in a 5gal bucket.

White worms really shouldn't stink at all. But you could keep the culture in a smaller container that fits inside a larger container. And in the larger container, have a layer of charcoal in order to absorb any odor. Vinegar eels basically grow in a nearly sealed jar with only a little bit of gas exchange.

What specific types of fish are you trying to feed? Surely there's an easy solution.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to feed Goldfish, betta and convict cichlids. The indoor temp where the bucket is, is 74 degrees all the time.
would seed shrimp be ok in the 2 gal container? or would they be better outside in a larger container?
I think you'll need your temps under 80F in order for scuds to be successful on the breeding front. They should be okay at 80-85F. And dwarf shrimp temperatures for daphnia to succeed - anything above low-mid 70s will likely be their demise.

100 scuds seems like it could work with plenty of hiding places in a 5gal bucket.

White worms really shouldn't stink at all. But you could keep the culture in a smaller container that fits inside a larger container. And in the larger container, have a layer of charcoal in order to absorb any odor. Vinegar eels basically grow in a nearly sealed jar with only a little bit of gas exchange.

What specific types of fish are you trying to feed? Surely there's an easy solution.

·
Super Moderator
15,245 Posts
I would like to feed Goldfish, betta and convict cichlids. The indoor temp where the bucket is, is 74 degrees all the time.
would seed shrimp be ok in the 2 gal container? or would they be better outside in a larger container?
2 gallons is plenty. I have colonies that live among my dwarf shrimp in myriad small tanks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks.

My house is 74 degrees maybe that's too hot for white worms? I really liked the size o them

·
Super Moderator
15,245 Posts
My house is 74 degrees maybe that's too hot for white worms? I really liked the size o them
I think they tend to reproduce best when they're kept at dwarf shrimp temps - under 70. But they should still reproduce okay at 74. They won't start to die until they hit the high 80s. Even then, I doubt an entire culture would die completely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts