The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been used to being able to use a flat razor blade and slice off any algae on all my other tanks (glass). Now, I'm setting up a 26g Acrylic soon to be planted. I know a razor will destroy the acrylic tank. So what will I do when I get algae? Will it just take some more elbow grease with a soft sponge/cloth/microfiber towel? Will a rough sponge scratch the acrylic?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Just make sure it's the Original variety, not the ones with soap, or green abrasive pads, etc.

There is no better tool for removing algae from acrylic, period. You will be amazed. ;)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Magic Eraser itself already contains soap, or atleast in my experience.

I'd buy an aquarium algae scraper made for acrylic just to be safe.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
It must be the Original. It says "Original" on the box. If it contains soap, you got the wrong kind.

If there's any question which kind you have, wet it and see if it suds up. I just gave a fresh one a lick out of curiosity, and there is no flavor, soapy or otherwise. :)

I've been using these for years now. I have acrylic safe scrapers too, and this works far better.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Start with the softest thing you can find and keep at it BEFORE it builds up. I use Bountry paper towels. Everything can scratch something. It's the mirco scratches that the algae is holding on too. The less you scratch the surface the less opportunity there is for algae to grab a foothold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.