The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to turn this into a journal, not sure how long this will take me to setup so be patient could take another week for me to sell plants to buy all the parts.

These are 15 watt led lights I got from home depot was wondering if anyone has used them before, gonna try my hand at immersed with some s repens that I got yesterday, right now they're in a single shoebox with soil and an led module I got from petsmart, really bright light but I'd rather have 4 tubs going and i'm going to follow what I've read, but I don't like t5s or other tube lighting, so far I have 2 of these leds and will end up getting another 2-3 for this setup, at $43 a piece its painful but I got a hook up and these setups will pay for them selves later here's a pic, I need ideas for a fixture as Ive never tried to hook up leds like this.

Edit: Can I hook up two sockets to one cord? or 4 sockets to 1 cord? if so how and with what? =p

First here are the bulb specs,
120 vac60hz 166Ma 15 watts

And my scaping partner and baby

Loves his new toy haha

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
43 is pretty cheap for par38's, the deal extreme ones are a lot more $$.

We have one of these over a 20 gal in our shop, growing out some plants. We just hooked it up so don't know how well it works yet. But, we do use these in the refugiums for the reef tanks, grows the macro algae like no other!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
They should work great.

A couple things:

--I hope you didn't get stuck with some "soft/warm" white bulbs (2700-3200K temp). If so, it may grow plants but it will be so yellow, I can't believe it's not butter. 5000K to 6500K LEDs are VERY hard for me to find at Home Depot/Lowes.

--If you are only using 15w per bulb, you should be able to run a dozen of them on a single cord, really. I wouldn't hesitate to put 12 of them on a single cord, as long as it was a good cord. Don't use a cheap worn out vaccuum cleaner cord, lol, use a good quality power cord. The LEDs are only 15 watts each, so just do the math 15X12, it's really not that much. 12 obviously being an arbitrary number.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they're 7000+ I love the way they look hooked up to normal sockets to test, they are a great color, comparrable to my blue 6700k t5s, I'm going to get the best cord possible as I plan on running 4-8 for my setup, the heat output isnt even noticeable but I know how I'm mounting them, if you would like I'll do a rough example with a picture of the "hood" and lights inside with some paint addins =p

my problem is besides computer wiring I have never wired anything, How would I connect a computer fan to the same power cord?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Figured I'd post a pic of where the lights will be mounted and a rough draft paint program drawing of what will be added on to it

This is a front of the shoebox with the led bulbs inside, these lights are very powerful and after an hour being on i noticed not much heat to the touch, but the inside will be lined with aluminum foil the sides will have one fan going in the other side will have one going out, so 2 fans per shoebox, will end up getting 6 1-2 watt fans. It may be overkill but the led will last longer the cooler it stays, they will all be on the same power supply.
and on the open part of the boxes there will be a very thin acrylic sheet for moisture protection[I may be doing a misting system.... I used to keep frogs I love making them]
this isn't pretty but it doesnt have to be, this is to get as close to the sun as I can without burning my plants, have compared these to t5ho and they rule. heres more pics

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Lol, very ingenuitive! The PC fan will do a lot to help, but honestly you might be just fine by poking/cutting a bunch of 1" holes in the lid of the container, depending on whether you mind there being a bunch of holes in it lol.

The heat will rise and go up, and cooler air will be drawn from the bottom.

The only way to know for sure is to run them and see how hot they get with the passive cooling.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah they got to maybe 105F in a normal light fixture which I don't like, only reason i'm going this route is I need to keep water way from them, and I like tinkering with things, I'll set one of the boxes up as you have mentioned to try it out

·
Registered
706 Posts
i have a couple of those as well. got them from HD as well. the daylight version (5k) pretty pleasing to my eyes at least and replicates sunlight in a tide pool well. i use one over an ADA 30C above the substrate and its more than enough light. the tank is my opae ula one and it keeps the algae growing nicely for them. the stuff actually pearls by mid afternoon. i am actually going to use them to replace my outdoor flood lights on the house as well. temp wise, i havent had any issues, but then again, i have it mounted in a cheap clip on fixture well away from the water.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
From what I have heard the temp really only matter with water setups, but yeah its about 5000k, mine have slightish blue so I think its higher,

Just got home from another buy, I picked up the par 38s instead of the 30s I got 3 of them, so Will end up with a higher light side than the othr and one par 38 in the middle of the tub, here are the pics of one of the "fixtures" partly setup, sadly I have NO idea how to wire these things to the grounded powercord, if anyone in orange county knows how to set this up please let me know I could use the help.

photos will be uploaded later, still missing pc fans too

i will also add the output on these par 38s is nuts... they're single 18 watt leds, output is slightly blue

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would say so, and I have some pretty epic reflectors, i hooked this up to one of my bathroom fixtures that holds 8 bulbs, i put in two par38s and 2 par30s and the light was very very intense, i hope the growth from these are worth it, the projected life is 25k hours at standard running temps which is much higher than the 105 I had checked before, I did a 5 hour test and the head was over 120 on the shells, and thats just the par 30s, havent check the 38s for that long, but good thing im going with fans

as soon as I learn to splice wires i'll show how insane 3 par 38s are on together

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the photo I promised, just needs fans inner lining and wiring and its good to go, I have plenty of timers for these

the cords are 1800+ watt and insulated up to 300 volts, so that means two 18 watts per power cord, couldnt find others, these were made for power tools so they have a ground which I don't know what i'll do with.
the connectors in between the cords are buchanan bcaps, this is to eliminate the ground wire, though I'm still not sure how to splice this together.
Then you have the 2 bulb per shoebox fixtures, the blue lids won't stay, i'll be siliconing thin acrylic onto the open part of the shoeboxes, the fans are still not in and I still have one more box to rig up as you can see one of the par 38s doesn't have a home yet, I have a couple of the par 30s in random house fixtures.
Any input is so much appreciated as I would like to avoid a fire or a shock... I will eventually give up the search for some help and try myself =p

edit: don't mind my furry leg =p

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this is overkill for most tanks, its for an immersed farm, its a 90 liter sterilite tub with 4 shoeboxes full of different plants for culturing

also if you couldn't tell the difference between the bulbs, on the right are par 30s, the left par 38s, and the one outside is a par38

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
question answered, not going to wire this permenently so I can remove sockets in the future should i need to, i'll be buying wiring nuts tomorrow and trying this out, won't be something i can start up as im lacking the 90 liter tub and top, walmart lets people take lids for free sadly and its rather annoying that no other store in the area caries the size i need

anyway now i need to figure out how to eliminate my ground wires

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.