The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I can't seem to find enough information on this topic, but it's similar to the talk about using the screw-in CFL for a planted tank.

With the increasing drop of LED screw-in bulbs and ease of purchase from your local stores, I want to know what experience people have had, and what's an effective solution?

I'm growing mainly moss, java ferns, and anubis. I'm thinking to changing my existing light to something stronger, my tank is a 13"x13" tall 15G aquarium.

What bulb do you guys recommend? I'm thinking 5000K PAR 20, in a clip on lamp slightly above the tank, or should I got with something else?

Thanks!

Tank - Aqueon » 15 Column Deluxe Aquarium Kit | Products

A19 Example - TCP 60W Equivalent Daylight (5000K) A19 Non-Dimmable LED Light Bulb (6-Pack)-LA1050KND6 - The Home Depot

PAR20 Example - EcoSmart 50W Equivalent Day Light (5000K) PAR20 LED Flood Light Bulb-ECS 20 50WE CW FL 120 FS1 BL - The Home Depot

PAR38 Example - EcoSmart 90W Equivalent Day Light (5000K) PAR38 LED Flood Light Bulb-ECS 38 90WE CW FL 120 FS1 BL - The Home Depot

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I may be one of the few, if not the only one here doing this, and I've had the lights in for only a few weeks.

I've just recently also been doing more macro-fertilizers.

I'm using the a A19 5000K bulb, over my two nano tanks. So far this light seems to be doing well, I can make an anecdotal call on brightness as I'm replacing a 23watt 5000K CFL in one of those 8.5" aluminum 'shop light' clamp-on. They seem to match the 23 watt bulbs in brightness.

Anecdotal observations at best here, but it also seems to be working as well as the 23 watt lamp it replaced, which was well over a year old. The TCP lumen output is calculated at about 900 lumens.

Plants in my tanks are Crypt Undulata, C. Parva, Java Fern 'normal', narrowleaf and Windelov, Java moss and Willow moss. Pretty much a mixed bag of lower light plants, 'cept for maybe the Parva, which is growing, but at a glacial rate.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May I ask what bulb you used? (LED Wattage, rated Wattage, PAR?, etc?, link if you have to something similar) Thanks!

I tried using a 9.5w (75w equivalent apparently) PAR30 bulb on a 8" reflector yesterday and it seemed very dim.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Ahhh thanks! Interesting, you're using a standard A19 bulb and not a PAR one, I thought the PAR would be better, I guess not!
For it's 8 watts of power consumption it really blasts a lot of light. We replaced two 60 watt incandescent bulbs in our kitchen with one of these.

Like I said I'm using it with the 8.5" work light clamp on reflector.

·
Registered
852 Posts
everything I've been able to find says plants want around 6500k range.Not sure anyone makes an LED that color.With CFL's that's what they always say to go for.I have one in a clamp on reflector over my plant holding tank.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
everything I've been able to find says plants want around 6500k range.Not sure anyone makes an LED that color.With CFL's that's what they always say to go for.I have one in a clamp on reflector over my plant holding tank.
I've used 5000K high CRI fluorescents since 1992, and have had great luck with them. 6500K means more blue color, generally we need more deep red color. 6500K I think looks more like sky and is a little too blue-ish for my tastes. YMMV.

·
Registered
11 Posts
everything I've been able to find says plants want around 6500k range.Not sure anyone makes an LED that color.With CFL's that's what they always say to go for.
Really you can go for anything between the 4000 K and 1000 K range, but 6500 K is a good compromise that also tends to produce good color to our eyes and it's readily available in CFLs. But it has a somewhat blue tint. 5000 K is a slightly more neutral, less blue-ish light that's still perfectly acceptable to freshwater plants.
They do make 6500 K LED bulbs, but those are more popular in the A19 ("lightbulb") shape than in the floodlight shape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.