The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Scratches on the inside tend to be far less noticeable when the tank is filled with water, because water and acrylic have the same index of refraction.

They'll tend to collect algae, because most acrylic-safe algae scrubbers are too rigid and coarse to effectively clean within scratches. But an Original Mr. Clean Magic eraser (other varieties have additives) will do the trick quite easily.

Scratches on the outside are a different matter. I have the Novus kit. Haven't tried it on an aquarium yet, but have used it to remove scratches from other plastic items, and it did a good job.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
In case anyone was thinking of sanding I just want to clarify that you should never use low grit sandpaper. I am not too sure but I dont think I would use anything less than 800 to start. I am sure someone can finish what I am trying to say. The novus kit seems to be the safer bit than sanding and buffing though.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The novus kit is the only way to go, imo. I've used it on everything from saftey glasses to headlights. The kicker for me was when I used it on a piece of acrylic as an experiment prior to setting up my first acrylic tank. It worked great. Be careful to use lint free rags, don't use too much solution and here's the hard part, follow the directions :hihi:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.