The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to buff out scratches on an acrylic tank? They're not deep, it's just a bit "foggy" from surface scratching. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thx.

Boz

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! Thanks, Nick!

So for the final polishing, he didn't name a specific type. Do you think just a polishing compound you would use on a car would work? I don't have any deep scratches, just the light surface type.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Didn't want to begin a new Thread, but just finished cleaning a tank with many scratches, using Novus 1,2,3 and I have to say that there is noticable difference.
I actually asked for a discount on this 3-gallon display/floor tank, complaining about the scratches.
I just finished treating the inside and outside with Novus and it looks almost new. I mean, it looks waaay better.
I feel really guilty for asking for the discount.
Good thing I spend a lot of money there :biggrin:

Anyways, just wanted to vouch for Novus :proud:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey Boz!
http://cgi.ebay.com/NOVUS-1-2-3-pin...5QQihZ010QQcategoryZ13727QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller I got it from is cointechtexas.
You know, he actually sells this stuff for pinball machines!:biggrin:
But it can be used on all kinds of stuff (motorcycles, cds, I think anything made of plastic)

My reason for buying the stuff was 1-I want to use the tank!
2-I didn't want to "sand" it, (I don't trust myself/not confident in my skills)
3-I also want to try this stuff on my car's headlights :biggrin:

How badly scratched is your tank?

Is it from gravel??

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much for that link, Yoko!

Mine is scratched from sand, and also because I had a horrible gsa issue all over it, then bba, then thread, then staghorn, then.......name it. For some reason, this particular tank was an algae magnet. None of the others ever came close. So I pretty much trashed it. I was actually going to pitch the thing, or just use it for breeding, but it's such a great size for small plants.

Did it work on your headlights?

There's a pinball store near me. I wonder if they sell it....

*edit* I just went ahead and got it from your guy.
By the way, was it hard to rinse out? Did it leave any residue that could be harmful to fish?

Thanks again, Yoko!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi Boz, you're welcome! I really hope your tank isn't in too terrible of shape-- it can't work miracles, but I personally have seen a difference.
I've used the stuff on my 6.6 G (it isn't spotless, but I did beat it up pretty good with gravel) and last night, on my 3 G that I bought used (it looks much better now).
Still planning Paludarium-style set ups, so no water or animals yet, but I am assuming it is safe for fish, since it says that it is suitable for aquariums and household items that kids have exposure to...
It is good do Step 1,2,3,2,1
Step #1 is a cleaner and polisher and #2 is for fine scratches and 3 for heavy scratches. But it is good to keep workin' it and then finishing it off with the #1 polish in the end.

How big is your tank??

When you get the bottles, they are small. But a little goes a long way.
It's better to repeat steps, than to blob on a lot of solution at once.
:biggrin:

EDIT: OH I didn't try it on the car yet, been to busy with the tanks :red_mouth I will most likely try it this weekend!?

·
Registered
140 Posts
i use the micro-surface sanding pads to get scratches and haze off. i'm currently using them to get some mag-float & gravel scratches out of a 180g that is wet. instead of scraping algae, i use the sanding pads. it gets the green off and gives a new surface.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
i use the micro-surface sanding pads to get scratches and haze off. i'm currently using them to get some mag-float & gravel scratches out of a 180g that is wet. instead of scraping algae, i use the sanding pads. it gets the green off and gives a new surface.
Wouldn't that weaken the acrylic overtime, especially with bowing?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yoko, is yours the 6.6 bookshelf tank? If so, that's what mine is as well, and I scratched the darn thing just taking it out of the box!!

The scratches aren't deep, it's just has a swirly haze all over it, so it looks really blurry when it's set up.

jpfelix - I'm not familiar what you're using. You put them in your tank to clean when there are fish in there? I had actually used a Mr. Clean sponge, which is much like ultra-fine sandpaper, and it just hazed it even more. Do you have a brand name/photo of your product? You've piqued my curiosity!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Boz, YES! That is me! Blacksunshine also has the same tank.

I actually removed the black plastic trim on the top AND bottom, it looks so much nicer :hihi:

I used this stuff on the 3G I mentioned, I will be putting the ADF's in it :flick:

If all you have is "swirly haze", this will definately work for you!!!!!

Just remember to work it' , like I said above...

I've used a sponge pad with a sandpaper backing on it to clean tanks, but they have been GLASS tanks, never acrylic!!! They work very good on glass!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Boz, YES! That is me! Blacksunshine also has the same tank.

I actually removed the black plastic trim on the top AND bottom, it looks so much nicer :hihi:

I used this stuff on the 3G I mentioned, I will be putting the ADF's in it :flick:

If all you have is "swirly haze", this will definately work for you!!!!!

Just remember to work it' , like I said above...

I've used a sponge pad with a sandpaper backing on it to clean tanks, but they have been GLASS tanks, never acrylic!!! They work very good on glass!
Hey! I removed the black plastic when I was trying to clean it out, and I also thought...gee, that looks so much better! So I guess I'll follow your lead and leave it off.

The product should be here tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to trying it out. I did notice that I have a few deep scratches, but only like three, so nothing radical, but I'll be happy if it takes out the haze. So I should mostly use product # 1 and 2?

And yes, I'll *sings* "Work it baby!" :hihi:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey! I removed the black plastic when I was trying to clean it out, and I also thought...gee, that looks so much better! So I guess I'll follow your lead and leave it off.

The product should be here tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to trying it out. I did notice that I have a few deep scratches, but only like three, so nothing radical, but I'll be happy if it takes out the haze. So I should mostly use product # 1 and 2?

And yes, I'll *sings* "Work it baby!" :hihi:
ahahaha:hihi:
Don't forget to squeeze the #3 in there :flick:

OH and don't get all mad when you see how small the bottles are, it's enough! It's better to repeat steps than to glob it on thick and do it once. OK!! I'll be waiting:wink:

·
Registered
420 Posts
*crickets*

You're not happy with your results :icon_sad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.