The Planted Tank Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thank you! Hoping to have it in my apartment next weekend, it just needs the caulking in the inside bottom to make sure water doesn't get thru it if something down there goes silly.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Nice work. Got any shots of the inside of the cabinet?
Ha. I just looked through my pics of it, and I took a handful, and yet I didn't think to take a single shot of the inside. I will say however that the inside is nothing to write home about.

I basically stained the outside, and did a couple layers of polyurethane, and on the inside I did two thick coats of the poly. On the bottom of the stand, and about 3" up, I did an extra thick coat of poly to make sure any spills inside don't soak in.

I am probably going to be building a shelf for the inside once I generally get an idea of what all needs to fit and how I plan to fit it, but aside from that, it's just as simple as clear coated oak ply.

I'll be taking inside pics as I start set up though! Hope that will suffice :flick:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well I couldn't pass up a deal.

Just ordered 4 x 9L bags of ADA AS. Hopefully that's a good amount for a nice substrate bed and a pretty good slope should I decide to do it.

I'lll post pics of all the equips that I have so far together after this weekend. Tank and stand should be getting put up at my place Saturday or Sunday.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ok so I ordered all the parts to DIY a CO2 reactor that will go in line from the filter. I spent a little extra to get a piece that I -hope- will allow me to open it up and remove any bio balls and get a cleaning tool in there to clean it all out. Not a genius idea, just something I haven't seen done.

Anyway, once all parts are in and I get started I'll post pics of the build. Provided I remember to take pics! lol.

Oh and the 4 bags of AS came in, one more on it's way. I decided I want a lot of substrate...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Awesome journal and, Go BOLTS! I am originally from Escondido but live in Maryland now. I am about to start a similar build. Do you think 4 bags is too much? I was thinking 3 would be good for the 40 B. And do you have build pics of that stand? Very nice! My first attempt at a stand was a fail. I want to try again with the 40B

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Ok so I ordered all the parts to DIY a CO2 reactor that will go in line from the filter. I spent a little extra to get a piece that I -hope- will allow me to open it up and remove any bio balls and get a cleaning tool in there to clean it all out. Not a genius idea, just something I haven't seen done.

Anyway, once all parts are in and I get started I'll post pics of the build. Provided I remember to take pics! lol.

Oh and the 4 bags of AS came in, one more on it's way. I decided I want a lot of substrate...
That's going to be way more than enough substrate for a 40 gal. Just for reference I used about 4 1/2 bags in my 90 gal. and it's 2" in the front and as much as 6" in the back corners. At least you will have extra to fill in (or start another tank). That's what I keep telling myself with the 2 1/2 extra bags I have.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Awesome journal and, Go BOLTS! I am originally from Escondido but live in Maryland now. I am about to start a similar build. Do you think 4 bags is too much? I was thinking 3 would be good for the 40 B. And do you have build pics of that stand? Very nice! My first attempt at a stand was a fail. I want to try again with the 40B
Thanks for the reply! And yeah go bolts! 1 and 1 so far... seems just about right! lol.

I honestly don't know how many bags would be too much or not enough. I ordered likely way more than I need in total, but partially because I'll use it for future builds as well.

I do have some pics of the stand along the way, along with initial build designs that I drew in sketch-up.

What happened with your first attempt at the stand?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
That's going to be way more than enough substrate for a 40 gal. Just for reference I used about 4 1/2 bags in my 90 gal. and it's 2" in the front and as much as 6" in the back corners. At least you will have extra to fill in (or start another tank). That's what I keep telling myself with the 2 1/2 extra bags I have.
Ha, well I'm glad to have more than enough then... And I'm hoping one day to make a 12 gallon long, so this would be sufficient then if I have that much more than I need.

I am wanting this to have some areas of the substrate be up to 1/2 the overall height of the tank. The good news is, if the lady gets sick of it in the apartment, my grandparents own a self storage so I should be able to keep what's left over there.

Thanks for the input! I'd like to see some pics of the 90!

edit: Just saw you have the 90 gallon linked in your sig... I'm checking it out now!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hope to see this 40 turn out as you envision. I'm thinking of a 40 breeder or 33 long myself and look forward to your build journal. But you should definitely get a 12 gal long as well. I love mines.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Subscribed! Can't wait to see how this one turns out! How much did you pay for the ADA soil if you don't mind me asking? I have two tanks at home. Currently they are being stored as I'm deployed to Kuwait until APR 2014. I'm eager to get back home and set them up. I'm curious how well the ADA works for you! Love the build!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hope to see this 40 turn out as you envision. I'm thinking of a 40 breeder or 33 long myself and look forward to your build journal. But you should definitely get a 12 gal long as well. I love mines.
Thanks a lot! I do too lol. I'm looking over at the tank right now with all the crap sitting in it, and thinking to myself I might need some additional rocks to make the scape I want. I REALLY love the 12 longs, but I wanted something a bit bigger for my first planted tank. Slightly more stable I suppose.

Subscribed! Can't wait to see how this one turns out! How much did you pay for the ADA soil if you don't mind me asking? I have two tanks at home. Currently they are being stored as I'm deployed to Kuwait until APR 2014. I'm eager to get back home and set them up. I'm curious how well the ADA works for you! Love the build!
Thanks for subbing! Now I really hope I don't disappoint... I think you're the first person to subscribe haha. I paid $35/bag for the AS, free shipping. And man... Kuwait. All I can say is thank you for doing what you do. I hope to see a build thread from you when you get back ;)

Thanks again for the kind words! I'll try to live up to the expectation.

-Scott

·
Registered
183 Posts
The first stand I built was for my 56 column. I waaaayyyyyyyyyy overbuilt it(I used 4x4 and 2x4, that thing was ridiculously heavy) and didn't build it square. Live and learn though. Rookie mistakes that I learned from.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
The first stand I built was for my 56 column. I waaaayyyyyyyyyy overbuilt it(I used 4x4 and 2x4, that thing was ridiculously heavy) and didn't build it square. Live and learn though. Rookie mistakes that I learned from.
Yikes, that IS way overbuilt! My stand is pretty much an oak plywood box with holes cut in it and trim added. The only dimensional lumber used for it was on the bottom of it to elevate the bottom ply wood an inch, and for the doors (for the rails and stiles). It's relatively light weight, pretty much as square as hand tools can get, and strong as an ox. I'd recommend a plywood stand build to anyone who has a pretty basic knowledge of tools, and some time on their hands.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Ok. Small update here... I got some of the parts in for my CO2 reactor! The pictures are really bad cause I just snapped em quick on my cell phone camera, but here's what we got going!

In this pic it's the layout of the parts. Left side are the parts for the bottom. Coupler, reducer bushings, and the thread x hose barb elbow. Middle is the main body of the reactor, right side is a union, reducer bushings, and the elbow. Along the bottom is a rigid airline tubing to inject the co2 into the reactor.

Next is a pic of the parts all loosely pushed together, not glued or anything, just to give an idea of the final product.

Now the reason for the union is because in reading about DIY reactors, it seems many people complain about these things being really hard to clean out... The union allows me to fully open this up, dump the bio balls, clean it all out and then put it back together.

So that's about what I've got going for this thing so far... I am kind of nervous to start gluing this thing together cause I'm afraid I'll have forgotten some part of it... But I imagine I'm pretty well good to go!

What do you guys think!?
-Scott

P.S. I want to say again that I'm sorry about the crappy pics in this post... I was just too lazy to really set thing up to take anything better.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Aquascaping!!

Ok, it's been a while, but finding time has been a bit tough. I'm finally starting to get a chance to work on this a bit here and there, and got tired of seeing the tank sitting with all its equipment inside of it... I have done an initial aquascape and I must say... I think I like it.

Once again... cell phone pics and not so clean glass... But it's what I could get at the time!

What do you think!?

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hey are pictures not showing up for people? Maybe I need to load them differently. Sorry if that's the case, this is my first time looking at this thread from another computer and they aren't showing! Whoops!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Thanks for letting me know! I've gone ahead and put the pics in as attachments. How does that work? Any better?

41 - 60 of 70 Posts