The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a fairly large chiclid swap meet here in chicago about 4 times a year. Well I went today for the first time and I SCORED!!! I got 2 pairs of apisto double red cacs for $15. AND 10 cherry shrimp for $10.. can you say "SCORE FOR THE HOME TEAM." I knew you could.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was there also I picked up trio of Kribensis for a new tank i setup. they have insane colors on them. I hope they pair up soon. I also picked up a nice piece of driftwood for my planted tank. I saw the double reds and almost picked up some of those but i really want the triple reds. the orange flash's that guy had werent bad either.
I only saw one guy with cherry shrimp and they didnt look so hot so i didnt get them. I really do need some though since Id like to add new males and females to my exsisting farm. :)
If all works out im going to try and get a table at the next one and get rid of some cherry's.

was a busy place today...next time we should try to meet up there or something.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it was packed when I got there. I was lookgin for agassizi's but no one had em. I just went to the guy in the back right corner and picked those cacs up for 4 for $15. Ill definatley be back in june

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Really stinks to got to a swap with a little cash in your pocket and no clear idea of what you want.
You want one or two of everything!

I left with 3 pieces of wood, a trio of turquoise rainbows, and anubias coffefolia, a. gigantea, and crypt nevilli. (Remember, this IS a planted tank forum!)

The guys in the back left corner had a nice selection of very healthy plants, for very decent prices. They do aqauria plants during the winter as a side business to pond plants. And the guy on the middle aisle had some more unusual species.

I was impressed at the crowds there around 11-noon.
I agree - next time we should see if we can hook up.

(I shoulda got a bigger piece of wood!)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ed, you SCORED. Yeah i went there with $40 and wanted to pick up a couple pairs of agassizi's. I was a little disapointed that no one had em. I saw the back left plant guys but I didnt need anything. I was very tempted to walk away with 8 blue rams for $30 from that guy who had hundreds of them rifht when you walked in the place on the right

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
LOL! The one thing I thought I wanted was a male blue ram to pair up with my female - and I must have missed that table! I guess I started in the other way around, and was experiencing overload by the time I got back to the start! It must have been right across from the guy I saw on my way out - had some Swartzii cories and otos I was interested in.

I tend to be pretty tight with a buck, tho I LOVE a bargain. So that kind of place drives me absolutely batty, swinging between the impulse to buy ("Oooh, shiney!") and thinking "I don't really NEED that and I bought a bunch already."

I think they intentionally set the 2 guys with the best wood up in opposite corners just to drive me crazy. Can't guess how many times I fought my way back and forth comparing different pieces, trying to strike a deal... Really made me feel like an idiot! Of course, it is good to know you are in a huge room with a whole bunch of other similarly-minded idiots!

The people I felt sorry for were the bored-looking kids who obviously got dragged along by their mom and/or dad on the way home from church. I was considerate enough to leave my family at home!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Next time we should all meet up I was there around 11-12 also. We probably bumped elbows at one point in time. lol
I picked up my driftwood from the lady in the corner who had the plants, she was a hard one to haggle with but i got her to knock 5 bucks off the driftwood. Still cost me $25 but i think its an awesome piece. Ill have to try and take some pics after its done soaking. I almost bought some plants but I didnt see anything I wanted.

Ill defiantly be back at the next one.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got there at 11ish and I was like and i was shocked to see the crowd of people. If I had a 210g I would have done some major shopping. The next one is april 30. I will post it on here to kind of get an RSVP. I would like to get there at the open next time and beat the crowd.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was there at 10:00 and it was so crowded you could barely move around. It was really difficult to see all the fish but I was mainly there is look at the plants.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
blang said:
I was there at 10:00 and it was so crowded you could barely move around. It was really difficult to see all the fish but I was mainly there is look at the plants.

What did you end up getting?

·
Registered
18 Posts
A couple of bags of floating plants, a ruby sword and an Alternanthera reineckii. And yes, a pound of bloodworms for $5. It was really too crowded for me to have a fun time looking around.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If we pick a time, we can have our own little swap meet in the parking lot.
Instead of getting there early, another approach is to stick around until just before the close, and try to make deals when they are packing up.
Who woulda known there were so many fish geeks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
When/where is this event?

Guys -- when and where is this next event? We've got an aquarium club downstate that would probably be interested in making the trek.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
blang said:
A couple of bags of floating plants, a ruby sword and an Alternanthera reineckii. And yes, a pound of bloodworms for $5. It was really too crowded for me to have a fun time looking around.
I new I past a bargain when I past up the bloodworm guy and didnt buy 2lb's. Next time im picking some up foresure

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yeah - my first reaction was "wow is that cheap", immediately followed by "a pound is a whole lotta worms!"
Next swap is 4/30.
Check the Chi. cichlid assn site for details.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hey, noticed all you guys are Chicago folk. You plan on going to ACA in July? I plan on making the trip down from Michigan for the weekend. It would be cool if I could meet some plant people down there too. Riley

1 - 17 of 17 Posts