The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we have the scientific name associate with the common name of algae?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Algae genera are legion. You also need a good microscope to differentiate between them.

Page 164 from Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad
I gave up on algal taxonomy after I had some 'green mat' algae from my tanks examined by a biologist. Under the microscope, the algae turned out to be a conglomerate of many separate species. The two dominant genera identified by their filamentous branching pattern and caracteristic spores, were Oedogonium and Pithophora (both green algae from the Division Chlorophyta). The Oedogonium appeared to be a mixture of not one, but several species. In addition, blue-green algae Chamaesiphon and Chroococcus species appeared as small blue-green bulbs attached to the green filaments. Finally, there were small populations of diatoms (Division Chrysophyta) and other miscellaneous algal species within the green may. Thus, I decided to use common, descriptive names for algae found in aquariums.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Algae genera are legion. You also need a good microscope to differentiate between them.

Page 164 from Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad
She's a quitter:)

I identified a number myself that had been assumed to be things entirely different.

Some folks give up because it requires more expertise than they are willing to invest. It's not easy in their defense.

I could say the same about bacteria, which she is more focused on in her profession.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Generally I identify the main players and noxious species.

I list the main genera and a few species I know I and others can get without too much uncertainty.

I doubt many will use the Latin names for algae.
I'm writing extensive articles on each group of algae and discussing which genera are present in FW systems in the Barr Report.

I've done the Red and diatoms thus far. The greens will be a long one......as will the cyanophytes. There are other groups but they are not particular common in FW planted tanks and I'll not discuss them.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.