The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if this stuff is any good. I've read all about it, but I want some advice from people with personal experience. I have eco-complete now mixed in with some gravel and white sand. I'll be making a total rescape soon, and I wanted to have a more uniform substrate (I just don't like the look of what I've got now). It seems that this stuff is basically the same thing as fluorite, so I'm hoping that it's pretty good with all sorts of plants.

I just want to know some hints/tips if you have any.

Thanks,

Charlie

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I used it a few years ago. It grew plants fairly but, it was real light so very often the plants would float up if they didn't have a good root system.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have it in two small tanks. Java moss does great with it and Anacharis grows rapidly and healthy. But as posted, it is very "lightweight" and may be best mixed with small sized gravel to make it easier to keep plants anchored in.
I just have plant weights wrapped around the Anacharis to keep them in place.
It's been hard to find here this past summer, neither Home Depot or Lowes had it in their stores.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I've heard a few reports of blue balls of fertilizers being mixed in (that released ammonia) so just be on the lookout...

I didn't see any this year either, come to think of it... I wonder if they got a bad rap from the fert balls? I can imagine they would have wreaked havoc in ponds...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I haven't seen the "new" formula. I still have 1 extra bag from years ago.
I do remember reading something about the changes made to it. If I find the info, I'll post it here.
I actually had gotten in touch with the mfg. last year to find out where I could find it locally and had asked her about the change in the formula but she couldn't tell me anything about it. When she had said to look in Home Depot, I told her they didn't have it at that time and they did not this year also.
You do have to rinse it well like fluorite.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I did find/read complaints of people getting ammonia spikes. And then there were replies from others that hadn't.
It seem it now has (don't know for sure, since I can't find any to look at) added fertilizer, blue balls, to it.- What lauraleellbp had mentioned above.

With this in mind, I would look into it more before I used it.

Here's one quote from a statement in another forum I had found.

09-12-2008
Beware of the Schultz Aquatic Soil. I am currently using it and had a huge ammonia spike from it and others have as well. It contains small blue "pills" that i believe to be some kind of fert.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...lant-soil.html

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
LOL, well its the same color as sand, just a light tan color. I like the color. The same product is sold in bigger bags for less money under different names. Schultz clay conditioner and Turface. Its fracted clay commonly called fullers earth. It gets heavier over time and as crud settles in it. I have some thats over ten years old. I mix it with a little gravel. It is a little alkaline, the blue pills must be new, but the clay conditioner or turface is just plain clay, and it costs a lot less...better off getting either of those any way.

Soilmaster select is also made of clay, not soil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts