The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for this. I figured it must have been discussed somewhere, but alas, I could not find anything which answered my question.

This is the only aquatic soil I have available in my area. I was reading the back and couldn't quite figure it out. It feels like gravel, and since it is made out of some kind of ceramic... Anyway, who has used or is using this? What can you tell me about it?

I'm completely new to aquatic soils, so I would really like to know what I'm looking at. I'm interested in doing a nano, probably 1.5g, if I win the one on eBay, possibly larger if I find something better for a reasonable price.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
I did a search for this. I figured it must have been discussed somewhere, but alas, I could not find anything which answered my question.

This is the only aquatic soil I have available in my area. I was reading the back and couldn't quite figure it out. It feels like gravel, and since it is made out of some kind of ceramic... Anyway, who has used or is using this? What can you tell me about it?

I'm completely new to aquatic soils, so I would really like to know what I'm looking at. I'm interested in doing a nano, probably 1.5g, if I win the one on eBay, possibly larger if I find something better for a reasonable price.
It will work just fine....DC

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It's great stuff. I use it in my 20 gallon. Its actually fired clay. so similar to ceramic I guess. but yeah as stated it is a light substrate untill it takes in some water. Its VERY similar to flourite or Soilmaster. Personally I wouldn't waste the money on Flourite considering that this is a much cheaper alternative. As is the Soil Master line.
The only think some ppl don't like about it is the color. its a light tan basically like pottery clay. But if you have a thick carpet you will never know.
the only negitive thing I can say about it is the grain size in combonation with the light weight make it dificult to plant or keep planted finer more delicate small plants.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thanks! It's kinda falled apart the last couple weeks. I haven't been keeping up on trims or ferts. But I got new plants to try out so there will be a 3rd.. or maybe 4th revision (not sure what I'm on anymore).

oh yeah don't forget to rinse the Shultz. its very dusty when you get it.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
i have it now in my 30 gallon.. it's ok.. i have a layer of gravel underneath for the roots to hold on to.. like people mentioned it's really light. Nutrient wise, i think it's pretty lacking but better than plain old gravel though because it absorb nutrients and release it for plant use ( i think) . You can use it and put some root tabs to give rooted plants more nutrients.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.