store today for dremel sanding drums and find three bags for
$5.00 each on sale since the manager didn't know what to
do with it before winter.

- Brad
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or you can just go to Lesco's and buy Soil Master Select in 50 lb bags for only 13 bucks.

FYI, they are the same thing! Just different fancy packaging!

(I believe they changed the name of Soil Master Select though)

No they are different products, Shultz makes Aquasoil specifically for
outside Koi ponds and Oildry made/makes Soil Master Select/Turface
for baseball diamonds and for underneath soccer/football fields for better
irrigation.

Oildry no longer makes SMS so the best product from them is Turface
Pro Grey which is a shame as I liked SMS Charcoal better (I've used all
three).

- Brad

· Registered
6,629 Posts
No they are different products, Shultz makes Aquasoil specifically for
outside Koi ponds and Oildry made/makes Soil Master Select/Turface
for baseball diamonds and for underneath soccer/football fields for better
irrigation.

Oildry no longer makes SMS so the best product from them is Turface
Pro Grey which is a shame as I liked SMS Charcoal better (I've used all
three).

- Brad
And they are still the EXACT same thing. I have both, different colors and everything.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was about a year ago when I looked at both of them and now there's
what six different types of Turface (three each MVP and Pro) so there's
a good chance that all of the formulas have changed but I'll buy a bag/
bucket of everything again.

- Brad

· Registered
363 Posts
I just went by HD here in Dallas on a business trip and picked up 4 bags of it for $5.00 each also.

I'm planning on using it in my first planted tank coming up. I'll cover it with some black sand for looks.

I was pretty happy because I did not find any at my local store.

· Registered
329 Posts
Putting black sand might not help because after awhile, the smaller sand grains will sink to the bottom and the large grains will be on top.
Agreed:proud:

Also in that pic, the white balls, are they capsules? As my Schultz looks the same except it had blue capsules and these were some kind of fert as I squished a couple in the tank and they released something cloudy. I had massive ammonia right after setup and those capsules are the only thing that made sense to me as the source.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed:proud:

Also in that pic, the white balls, are they capsules? As my Schultz looks the same except it had blue capsules and these were some kind of fert as I squished a couple in the tank and they released something cloudy. I had massive ammonia right after setup and those capsules are the only thing that made sense to me as the source.

Yup it's designed for Koi ponds so it does have some moister additive but
nothing like flowerbed potting soil. I've always rinsed it and then did a
fishless cycle before adding anything and I haven't lost any to an ammonia
spike yet with SAS (knock on wood).

- Brad

· Registered
363 Posts
I'm going to be using Shultz in my tank and have 50 pounds of it now. I opened up two bags, poured them into a five gallon bucket and filled with water.

I also took 10 of the greenish balls and put them in a 3 tbspoon of distilled water.

I just tested both samples of water, about 3 hours later.

Both show signs of Ammonia. The bucket is about 1/2 soil 1/2 water and the ammonia is at about 4.0, the other sample is about .5.

So it looks like I will do a fish less cycle of the soil in some buckets before using it as substrate.

Maybe this helps others.

· Registered
135 Posts
How many pound bags does the SAS come in? I'm looking to get some for the tank I'm about to set up. Its a ten gallon tank, so how many bags/lbs. do you think I'll need?

Also, how do you rinse it??? Wouldn't that just make it go all over the place? If someone could give me instructions on how to prep it for the tank, I would be extremely great full! This all seems rather foreign to me...
And if you were wondering, I was planning on topping it with some basic aquarium gravel, or possibly eco-complete if I can get my hands on some...

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How many pound bags does the SAS come in? I'm looking to get some for the tank I'm about to set up. Its a ten gallon tank, so how many bags/lbs. do you think I'll need?
10lb bags

Also, how do you rinse it??? Wouldn't that just make it go all over the place? If someone could give me instructions on how to prep it for the tank, I would be extremely great full! This all seems rather foreign to me...
And if you were wondering, I was planning on topping it with some basic aquarium gravel, or possibly eco-complete if I can get my hands on some...

Thanks in advance!
The way I do it is:

Put the SAS in a bucket and fill it full of water then let it set over night.
The next day I put my long handled paint stirrer on my cordless drill and
stir the bejebers out of it and let that set for an hour. Dump some of
the water out and refill it. Then repeat for a few days until the ammonia
spike is gone.

- Brad

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.