The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wondering if a school of tetras would mix with a school of rasboras if in the same tank creating a big schooling "mess" or will the two species stay seperate?

Tetras and Rasboras in concideration are below; note that only one tetra school would be chosen and would consist of 15-20 and the Rasboras would be 20-30 specimens.

Lemon Tetras
Bloodfin Tetras
Diamond Tetras

And
Harlequin Rasboras

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
their shape and size is a major discrepancy, i wouldnt' think they would school together but would make their own groups.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'll put up a video for you of my tank, maybe tomorrow

I have a school of Rummynose, Neons and Har Tetras.

I also have Dwarf CoryCats, 4 SAEs, OtoCats

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I had harlequin rasboras, lambchop rasboras, and white-tipped tetras together and they rarely schooled together. Occasionally they would surf in the current of the lily pipe, but pretty much stuck to themselves.

In addition to size discrepancies, you'll have to think about their behavior and what level of the aquarium they like to reside in. The rasboras I've kept almost always stuck to the top third to top half of the tank, whereas all of my tetras stick to the middle of the tank.

If you care less about their stress levels and more about their schooling affect, you can always put in a bigger fish like a 1.5" angelfish or a school or roselines and they'll stick together.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
As ced281 accurately stated, they won't school together - the tetras will generally occupy the mid to lower half of the tank, while the rasboras will stick to the mid to upper half of the tank.
I think you would enjoy the combination of the rasboras and the bloodfins, but the lemons would also be a good choice instead of the bloodfins.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your imput! I am getting closer to choosing some fish to replace my exsisting school of Puntius Denisonii.
Sounds like I wouldn't have a problem adding two schools, one being tetra and one being Rasboras! Great! I really don't want a mass of different species confused in my tank LOL!

I like the Lemon Tetras quite a lot and thought the yellow would compliment the orange of the Harlequin R. very nicely even bring out the yellow that much more. But, the Bloodfins are extremely effective schoolers moving like carp; at least this is what I have been told by a friend of mine who has them. I would love to see a large school tightly bunched together swimming from here to there.

So! Now I just need to come to a final descision!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why wpuld you want to replace the denisoi???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't get me wrong! They are an amazingly beautiful fish! I love the size of them too. The problem is, my house is not fish tank friendly. In other words, it is all open floor plan with hard wood floors and the kids are quite loud when they patter back and fourth around the house. Toddlers are very loud! The Densions have gotten ICH three times since June! So, not a good fish for our home...or we are not a good family for them to be exact! ;)

When everyone is gone and I am home alone with the baby, the denisons are chill and fun to watch. As soon as even 1 kid is added to the equation, I have crazy, nervous, darting, spastic denisons running over eachother, other fish and into the sides of the tank.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seeking your thoughts/Opinions/Experiences TPT!

So, I am trying to decide between Harlequin Rasboras, Lemon Tetras, Bloodfin Tetras, and/or Kuhli Loaches. Not all of them!!!! I like order, flow and relaxation rather than hustle n' bustle, confusion and spastic. This is what I am aiming for in my 88 gallon tank. (Finally found out exactly how many gallons are in this thing!) I can't find this anywhere else in my life HaHa! So it must be in my tank :icon_mrgr

Would be helpful to listen to TPT visitors to this thread discuss these options so I can know more about the behavior of these species in home aquaria :tongue:

First I will tell you I do have 2 Angelfish and 1 Betta. These fish own this tank and won't be going anywhere. I have concidered adding more Angels for a large schooling fish, but really don't know if that's what I want. Still in the day-dreaming stage with this stocking, and not in a rush. My goal is to be slightly understocked allowing my fish to enjoy swimming room and privacy when they choose without being in eachothers faces 24/7. I also don't have to have so few fish that they are "dotted here and there".

I can hardly wait to see what other people would do with these options!!!

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,543 Posts
I love espei rasboras. A nice school of them really looks good. Msjknd sells them here often. Mine are very chill and school well, but very active during feeding and like to take turns surfing the current. You could have a very impressive school in an 88 gallon and still be stocked correctly. 30 to 40+ easily

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love espei rasboras. A nice school of them really looks good. Msjknd sells them here often. Mine are very chill and school well, but very active during feeding and like to take turns surfing the current. You could have a very impressive school in an 88 gallon and still be stocked correctly. 30 to 40+ easily

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
These are more vibrant than the Harlequin Rasboras right? Just a tad smaller too? I'm going to do a quick search to see. ;)

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Send me your denisons mine are always happy even if I'm having a party with a bunch of people. But I do have concrete floors.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Send me your denisons mine are always happy even if I'm having a party with a bunch of people. But I do have concrete floors.

Oh lucky! I do wish mine were like that...it muct be the concrete floors ;)
I would send them to you if I wasn't swapping them for other fish :) They were $180 so I get to pick $180 worth of fish and supplies!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
See? I told you your lfs was special! lol

All I can chime in on from your list is the H. Rasbora. Mine school very well and make use of every corner of the tank, and they colored up deeply. Whether Harlequins or Espei, the rich autumn/copper color in a planted tank is outstanding. My males face off & display at each other on a weekly basis. It's quite a sight to see them, they are one of my favorite fish and I'll always have a some. I need to expand on what I have - I just haven't decided if I want to add to the 125, or start a large, new school in a different tank.

On a side note, I'm getting a kick out of how parallel our fish search is - lol

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
See? I told you your lfs was special! lol

All I can chime in on from your list is the H. Rasbora. Mine school very well and make use of every corner of the tank, and they colored up deeply. Whether Harlequins or Espei, the rich autumn/copper color in a planted tank is outstanding. My males face off & display at each other on a weekly basis. It's quite a sight to see them, they are one of my favorite fish and I'll always have a some. I need to expand on what I have - I just haven't decided if I want to add to the 125, or start a large, new school in a different tank.

On a side note, I'm getting a kick out of how parallel our fish search is - lol
I know right?! Parallel is the best word you could have used; It's crazy! Thanks for your input! If you love them, and you seem to love all the same fish I love, this is a huge plus for the copper cuties!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It's a lot! [STRIKE]10 ideas[/STRIKE]! [STRIKE]Narrowed down to 6 Ideas[/STRIKE] ;)

Updated stocking ideas on page 4. But, here's where I'm at in the descision process. Now I just need to narrow it down so I can make a choice! Tell me what you think, even if you hate it! (All of these numbers are choosen specifically to keep me below fully stocked, with an estimate ranging between 75%-97% stocked with filtration accounted for and fish bio-load/size and shape using the debatable Aqadvisor stocking tool)

[STRIKE][STRIKE]2 Angelfish, 1 Betta, 8 Kuhli Loach and one color coded group below:

30 Harlequin Rasboars

25 Lemon Tetras

[STRIKE[STRIKE]]25 Bloodfin Tetras
30 Harlequin Rasbora[/STRIKE]

20 Lemon Tetras
25 Bloodfin Tetra

50 Lambchop Rasbora
add 2 more Kuhli Loach
this group leaves plenty room to spare concidering bio-load

~or~[/STRIKE]4 Angelfish, 1 Betta and one color coded group below:

8 Kuhli Loach
40 Harlequin Rasbora

7 Kuhli Loach
20 Harlequin Rasbora
15 Lemon Tetra

50 Lambchop Rasbora
10 Kuhli Loach

9 Kuhli Loach
30 Harlequin Rasbora

8 Kuhli Loach
23 Bloodfin Tetra

~or~
6 Angelfish, 1 Betta and 7 Kuhli Loach

12 Redback Bleeding Hearts (to shoal around the bottom-mid level having the Angelfish the only schooling species)

[/STRIKE][/STRIKE]

1 - 20 of 114 Posts