The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 39-40 gallon planted tank that I have added 25 Green Neon Tetra. The are very comfortable with the tank and are all over the place. I need to add that one or 2 fish to the tank that would encourage schooling. My question is....if the tetras get used to that 1 fish...would they just get comfortable again and quit schooling??? I have thought of a 1 single Angel fish (I have a tank that is more deep than long...figured it would be a decent choice)...but would I need something more aggressive? Not looking to hurt any fish at all...just something or a couple things to add to the tank that...like I said that would encourage schooling all the time...or am I asking too much? Thanks in advance. Loving this rediscovered hobby.....

The tank has 25 Green Neons
5 Nerite snails
6 Cherry shrimp
C02
Eheim 2217
50 Watt Hiro Pendant

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Have you considered another peaceful schooler? Maybe one that's a little more of an active schooling species would encourage your green neons out of hiding without as much fear of harming them or your shrimp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you considered another peaceful schooler? Maybe one that's a little more of an active schooling species would encourage your green neons out of hiding without as much fear of harming them or your
Have you considered another peaceful schooler? Maybe one that's a little more of an active schooling species would encourage your green neons out of hiding without as much fear of harming them or your shrimp.
It's like a big green neon party....no hiding...they are all over the place :) I am looking for a fish to encourage schooling behavior....my greens are very comfortable and loving life

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Green neons might disappoint you a bit. From my experience with them what you're seeing is what they will do. Adding something to chase them will more likely send them in to hiding with only 1 being chased until it can break site and hide itself not encourage them to school. Side note- my rummynoses get my cardinals to school from time to time. Cardinals have similar schoaling behaviours to green neons. That's why I suggested an active peaceful schooler.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have a 75 gal with 3 types of Tetras including Black Neons and 2 Angelfish and the Tetras only somewhat school when I am doing weekly maintenance and have hands in the tank . I have a 40 gal with Cardinal Tetras , Guppies and Platys and the same thing . I think they get comfortable and learn no one can or will snack on them and don't school . I don't mind , they still look good . I have never had any fish school like they do in the YT videos....lol

Reactions: kfish

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have Cardinal tetras in my 240Gal with discus, They only school when the discus are nearby. Once the discus are on the other side of the tank they spread out and do not move. This is normal behavior so i assume in smaller tanks with no "predator" they will not move much.

Most youtube videos are made to entertain and make it look perfect, probably the fish as just been added to the tank or they have been disrupted before the shooting.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have kept several types of tetra (Neon, Cardinal, Diamond, Congo, Bleeding Heart, Emperor, Serpae, and Silvertip), none school after initial acclimation period. The only tetra that school consistently for me is Rummynose, but they are delicate fish to keep. Another consistent schooler I read is bloodfin tetra, but personally I have never kept it. Tetra in general are not good schooling fish, and many are territorial and need to be kept in number to diffuse aggression.

Rasboras are more reliable schooler than tetra. I have kept both harlequin and brilliant rasboras, and both school consistently. Not only that they hang out together at all the time, but they are directional, meaning that they tend to face in the same direction.

Danios are another good schooler, but they are too active for my liking,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Green neons might disappoint you a bit. From my experience with them what you're seeing is what they will do. Adding something to chase them will more likely send them in to hiding with only 1 being chased until it can break site and hide itself not encourage them to school. Side note- my rummynoses get my cardinals to school from time to time. Cardinals have similar schoaling behaviours to green neons. That's why I suggested an active peaceful schooler.
Thank You! My greens are disappointing me in the fact that they do not school except for when i spook them....but they are beautiful and do not disappoint in that regard...your response has me researching again...and I appreciate that...my tank will too

I have kept several types of tetra (Neon, Cardinal, Diamond, Congo, Bleeding Heart, Emperor, Serpae, and Silvertip), none school after initial acclimation period. The only tetra that school consistently for me is Rummynose, but they are delicate fish to keep. Another consistent schooler I read is bloodfin tetra, but personally I have never kept it. Tetra in general are not good schooling fish, and many are territorial and need to be kept in number to diffuse aggression.

Rasboras are more reliable schooler than tetra. I have kept both harlequin and brilliant rasboras, and both school consistently. Not only that they hang out together at all the time, but they are directional, meaning that they tend to face in the same direction.

Danios are another good schooler, but they are too active for my liking,
you know....rasboras were my first choice and then I was taken in by the beauty of the Green Neon...sigh...don't get me wrong...I love these fish...and I think once my plants really fill the tank they will be even more brilliant...was just hoping for schooling behavior....I have considered putting in a couple Rummy Nose...but I think I want something bigger...Thanks

I have Cardinal tetras in my 240Gal with discus, They only school when the discus are nearby. Once the discus are on the other side of the tank they spread out and do not move. This is normal behavior so i assume in smaller tanks with no "predator" they will not move much.

Most youtube videos are made to entertain and make it look perfect, probably the fish as just been added to the tank or they have been disrupted before the shooting.
"Most youtube videos are made to entertain and make it look perfect, probably the fish as just been added to the tank or they have been disrupted before the shooting." Haha...starting to believe that now....I sure do get the most awesome school while water changing......I need a bigger fish...betta? angel? this tank has been a work in progress...and my guess they would probably get used to the bigger fish over time......thanks

I have a 75 gal with 3 types of Tetras including Black Neons and 2 Angelfish and the Tetras only somewhat school when I am doing weekly maintenance and have hands in the tank . I have a 40 gal with Cardinal Tetras , Guppies and Platys and the same thing . I think they get comfortable and learn no one can or will snack on them and don't school . I don't mind , they still look good . I have never had any fish school like they do in the YT videos....lol
They do still look good....my greens are brilliant to say the least...and once that green grows in a bit..it will be more so....from the responses I am seeing...is learn to love what they are. Thanks for responding

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Another thought on why they aren't schooling... There is nothing in the tank with them obviously, no predators. When this occurs, fish tend to be more relaxed and spread out. It's a good thing if you ask me. My tank has solely 25 White Cloud Mountain Minnows and they are all over the place too. I love it. More natural behaviors IMO. But schooling/shoaling is nice too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got embers and black tetras in my 40 breeder. The black tetras seem to school some, and the embers (well most of them, some of the time) school. I've also got three GBRs in there, but the tetras and rams pretty much completely ignore each other. The tank is very active, with lots of motion, but not a lot of schooling.

On further reflection, The black tetras move around more than the embers, except at feeding time, when the whole tank resembles a micro-sized shark feeding frenzy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got embers and black tetras in my 40 breeder. The black tetras seem to school some, and the embers (well most of them, some of the time) school. I've also got three GBRs in there, but the tetras and rams pretty much completely ignore each other. The tank is very active, with lots of motion, but not a lot of schooling.

On further reflection, The black tetras move around more than the embers, except at feeding time, when the whole tank resembles a micro-sized shark feeding frenzy.
Thanks for the response....I had considered a Ram but if no schooling I may not. I also have to now consider the shrimp I put in the tank (sure didn't think that out before purchase).....I think I have decided to live with the tank as it is right now.....perhaps just one species of fish...and love what it is.......feeding time is crazy for sure however...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the response....I had considered a Ram but if no schooling I may not. I also have to now consider the shrimp I put in the tank (sure didn't think that out before purchase).....I think I have decided to live with the tank as it is right now.....perhaps just one species of fish...and love what it is.......feeding time is crazy for sure however...
I've had the same issue with my 50gal tank. I tried some kinds of tetras (green neons, cardinals, etc), the ones that truly formed a school were the embers and the rummynoses

·
Registered
3 Posts
adding aggresive species just because your tetras won't school? for me BIG NO NO. even they ended up school a lot more, it might they don't want to school but more likely feel terrorized by their aggressive tank mate

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
adding aggresive species just because your tetras won't school? for me BIG NO NO. even they ended up school a lot more, it might they don't want to school but more likely feel terrorized by their aggressive tank mate
The other side of that is in nature there are predatory fish and to give them a truly happy life you should replicate their habitat. I don't personally adhere to either "rule". I don't think it's necessarily a big no no to add an aggressive or boisterous feature fish to heavily planted tanks at all and this is pretty much the same deal. I do agree with you in that it will probably more so send them into hiding as opposed to schooling, though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for your opinion and response...I have had many days to think and take in what everyone wrote. I also spend many hours just sitting and watching my tank....it is peaceful and beautiful. I am going to keep it that way. I wish not to be terrorized...and I can't do that to my fish. At this point no centerpiece fish either. Probably not what I wanted when I began this adventure...but what it is is pretty awesome in it's on right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.