The Planted Tank Forum banner

Schooling fish ideas

858 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  lauraleellbp 
#1 ·
I'm one of those people that's paranoid about overstocking my tank so I'm wondering if I have enough room for some other schooling fish. If i do, what are some good schooling fish that would go along with my current stock? It's a 60 gallon corner tank with a rena xp2 Filstar canister filter

Stock: rainbow shark
2 dwarf gourami
2 male German blue balloon ram
3 juvenile German blue females
7 harlequin rasbora

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Thanks grah. I'm not sure how to properly measure a corner tank but it's 27.5 in from the back corner on both sides, 38 in from end to end on the bow front and 19 inches deep from the top of the gravel. Temp is at 80 degrees. PH 7.4

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
As normal as they are a big school of cardinals are awesome to watch. I have a school of 20 something in my 65 and they occupy every area, top, middle, bottom from side to side. They have little squabbles amongst themselves. Feeding time is like watching piranhas.
Really enjoy their color and their slow deliberate movement around my tank.
Try looking on youtube "big school cardinal tetras." There is a video there with a tank with 100. Truly beautiful.
Rummynose are great too but a little too active for my preference.

#7 ·
Some cory's are great schoolers too C. Melanistius stick together like glue. I have a school of eight in one tank that are almost never apart.

Dwarf Blue Rainbows (Praecox) are just awesome too. Great midwater schooler and gorgeous colors when in top form.

#11 ·
They're small. 20-50.

Personally, I'd go for 25 of those and 25 of another small contrasting schooler, Cardinal tetras being a classic pairing with Rams since they can handle the warmer temps well.

Gourami and Rams sometimes don't play well, since they're rather similar in shape and size. Just something to keep an eye on, in case.

Make sure you give your shark a cave to stake out as his/her territory. And provide plenty of other hardscape territory dividers for the rest of your Rams. You have room in your 60gal in terms of bioload, but you *may* not have enough of a footprint to provide adequate territories for all your territorial fish. I personally would go with 1 male Ram (and the balloon mutation always makes me cringe, poor fish!) and a few females, just to be on the safe side/ reduce possible problems down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.