The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a nice tight schooling fish for my 75g, currently in the tank i have 6 cories and that's about it

i can only think of the usual's (neons, danios)

someone help my brains stuck :confused:

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Lemon tetra's,Rummy nose tetra's, Pristella tetra's, Serpae tetra's, are a few .
Black ruby barb's if you can find them, are a very active fish and one of my personal favorites.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I vote rummy nose tetras

Sent from my Android tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
820 Posts
Deleted duuble post....soon sorry

Sent from my Android tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
You will spend a fortune on a school in that big of a tank! I would say get a big fish, otherwise the skys the limit. You could get a big school of mollies

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Cyps! Ok, it's debatable whether they really school as tightly as you want, but you could easily keep a group of 12 or more cyprichromis leptosoma cichlids in a 75 gallon and they will not disturb your plants - or almost anything else, for that matter. They would add a lot of activity to the tank.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I think we must/should consider that fishes in the wild school tightly largely out of fear of predation by larger fish.
When they travel this way in tight formation,it makes it a bit harder for larger fish to single out one or two.
In an aquarium where there hopefully is no fear from predator's,the fishes often scatter all over the tank but somtimes school tightly just before light's out for the day in my observation's, and of course they swarm at feeding time.
For fishes that do however seem to stick together more frequently than most,, I would select the rummy nose.
Often see these post's where folk's want tight schooling fish but if given peaceful surrounding's,, the fishes don't need to school in close quarter's and often don't.
Don't we all want peaceful setting for the fishes ??
Well except for cichlid keeper's (whole nother story).

Might also consider that photo's of tightly schooling fishes may be for photo purposes only.Fishes may have been placed in the tank just for that photo and being unsure of their new surrounding's,they stay in tight formation.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Rummies are good. Blood Fin Tetras are the tightest schooling fish I have ever seen. They follow so close they will follow each other in a circle like a dog chasing his tail.

Roseline sharks will fit the bill also. I just put 10 in my 125g.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts