The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a 55 gallon with 2 German blue rams, 2 black Knight rams, 2 upside down cats, 2 honey gouramis, rubber lip Pleco, blue eyed Bristlenose and an Electric blue acara. Is there any type of schooling fish I could add without a big problem, if so how many and what type?? (I was thinking of 6 green and black ruby barbs 3 and 3 but parole say they will mess with my rams and others say they will be fine!!??)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Lol and all of them are right.... Barbs are a toss up. Some of them attack, some of them don't. In some situations like out going and bossy rams with a small school of juvenile rosy barbs may do ok even once the barbs are grown. With all that you have going on in your tank I'd be hesitant to introduce anymore potentially aggressives.

·
Banned
A ton of guppies, mystery snails, japanese trapdoor snails, ghost shrimp, & tons of plants in a 10G.
178 Posts
Cherry barbs are extremely peaceful!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol and all of them are right.... Barbs are a toss up. Some of them attack, some of them don't. In some situations like out going and bossy rams with a small school of juvenile rosy barbs may do ok even once the barbs are grown. With all that you have going on in your tank I'd be hesitant to introduce anymore potentially aggressives.
Do you recommend any other schooling fish that’s colorful? Or should I just not get anymore fish?

Cherry barbs are extremely peaceful!
They look really nice but Is there any other schooling fish with different colors? I’m not too sure about solid red

·
Banned
A ton of guppies, mystery snails, japanese trapdoor snails, ghost shrimp, & tons of plants in a 10G.
178 Posts
They look really nice but Is there any other schooling fish with different colors? I’m not too sure about solid red
What colors are you suggesting? I have quite a few suggestions!

I'd look at this page for good schooling fish: 13 Awesome Schooling Fish for Your Aquarium (With Pictures)

DISREGARD THE ZEBRA DANIO SUGGESTION

I'd recommend dwarf neon rainbowfish. Never heard of them being fin-nippers, and as far as I know, not even in the slightest aggressive.

·
Registered
768 Posts
One of the larger tetra that enjoy warm waters. rummy nose and cardinals are probably too small (acara might eat them); but certainly lemon or rosy tetra would be options. Black neon are also another option i think. You have two major issues temp required by the rams (should be 81+) and the acara (the gouramis are not going to be an issue).

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Harlequin or Lamb chop rasboras might work well depending on what temp you keep your tank. They may nip at each other on occasion but are largely peaceful and shouldn't bother any of your other fish. I have them in with Ember and lampeye tetras and Dennison and cherry barbs. Everyone gets along great and I enjoy the schooling and the colors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Harlequin or Lamb chop rasboras might work well depending on what temp you keep your tank. They may nip at each other on occasion but are largely peaceful and shouldn't bother any of your other fish. I have them in with Ember and lampeye tetras and Dennison and cherry barbs. Everyone gets along great and I enjoy the schooling and the colors.
I have my temp at 80

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would personally be tempted to try one of the larger tetra species like was previously mentioned. Off the top of my head, the first that comes to mind is the congo tetra, has a decent size and from what I recall when I had some a few years ago they aren't aggressive. Someone else would have to chime in on whether or not they would be able to tolerate the 80-degree temp you are running as I wasn't running my tank that high at the time.

·
Apex user
41 Posts
In a planted tank I like cleanup crews. I have a 125 and you have not lived till you have seen a squadron of 8 gara spilosa fly across the tank as one unit. For your 55 I would suggest a 6 pack of the smaller panda gara. These guys eat algae of all kinds which solves a major problem in a planted tank.
If you want pretty I like roseline barbs.
My 3 Blue Acara are 6” long. May want to be careful of overstock.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In a planted tank I like cleanup crews. I have a 125 and you have not lived till you have seen a squadron of 8 gara spilosa fly across the tank as one unit. For your 55 I would suggest a 6 pack of the smaller panda gara. These guys eat algae of all kinds which solves a major problem in a planted tank.
Panda garras are nice but a littly messy when there are plants especially carpet ones. I do have 1 in my 72 gallons tank and he is great and super busy cleaning all day but he messes sometimes my carpet plants.

·
Premium Member
4 aquariums, all planted.
60 Posts
Panda garras are nice but a littly messy when there are plants especially carpet ones. I do have 1 in my 72 gallons tank and he is great and super busy cleaning all day but he messes sometimes my carpet plants.
I have 6 panda garras in a planted 55g and they don't mess with the carpet. What a fun fish! They tickle my arms when I put on in the tank.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I think you mean Garra Spilota, and it should be noted that G. Spilota is a hillstream Loach and requires far more water flow and cooler temperatures than a typical tank would provide..

All good recommendations. My only concern is that this tank is already getting close to it's carrying capacity, and any group of over 6 fish should be smaller ones like small tetras like Red Phantoms, If you wanted to change out the Blue Acara, a group of 6 Bleeding Heart tetras would be really stunning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.