The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my first planted tank that I started last year. I just re-scaped it a few days ago so I decided I would share it with the forum. Sorry for the crappy picture, I was going to take it with my SLR but the battery was dead.

Specs.
28 gallon bowfront
Top fin 30 filter X2
Aqueon Floramax 18" 15w T8 bulb
Marineland 100w stealth heater

The substrate is a mix of 50% planted aquarium substrate and 50% sand from lake tahoe.

Plants
5 Amazon swords
1 bunch of anacharis
1 Anubis
3 grassies from petsmart

Fish
5 Tiger Barbs
6 Peppered Corys
1 Pleco

Other than my heater being recalled I think everything is going good. My re-scape job was with the intentions of adding some puffers to the tank. Looking at either dwarf puffers or red eye red tail puffers. Let me know what you think and I'd like to hear any suggestions/tips. Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you 2in10. Overtime, I plan on upgrading my setup. From what I've been reading it looks like a new lighting system is next on the list. Something with T5's and more wattage.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
T5HO are very powerful and you can get a great selecton of bulbs to mix and match. You would need no more than 2 bulbs in there and would want to keep them elevated several inches above the rim. 1 bulb would suffice most likely but you would lose the ability to widen the spectrum the plants receive. Pink or red bulbs can make your fishes color pop and will do the same with red plants.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That is some creative architectural stone setup you have there. :) Personally I would ditch the background and go with a solid color rather than an image or pattern. That is a visual distraction to me at least.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Update 11-1-11.

Re-aquascaped
New heater Finnex HPS-100

I also added 3 bamboo shrimp a few days ago. Haven't seen them all out at once. I assume they are all still alive (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you tharsis, the anubias is the only plant that seems to be thriving. My diagnosis was I need a better light so I ordered one last week. Hopefully it helps my swords take off.

As for the scape I read this page http://www.leonardosreef.com/guide-to-iwagumi/ I put a painters tape grid of tape on the front of my tank like "The rule of 3rds" and attempted to compose a scape that had focal points that laid at the intersections of the tape grid. Looks better than it did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.