The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 10 gal with 5 scarlet badis and some RCS. The water quality is good--no ammonia/nitrites, low nitrates. Temp is 77 F, PH 6.7 heavily planted. One of the scarlet badis developed a small white patch on its head about 5 weeks ago. Since then--the whiteness has spread to more than half the fish's body. It looks smooth and white, like I can't see the scales anymore. The fish eats fine and is active. I have tried coppersafe, prazipro and general cure on him in my hospital tank.

Any ideas what this could be and how to fix?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Without doing a scrape and checking it under a microscope it is hard to say...
Does it look velvety? You will probably need an antibiotic like kanamycin to stand a chance, but by your description, the problem is at a very advance stage and probably beyond help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No new fish added--the tanks is 4 months old, and has had these same scarlet badis for that time. The fish isn't acting sick, it still eats and it still flares at the other males when they approach his little territory.

I did find this article and was wondering if this might be the problem, and I could try treating again, longer with coppersafe

Ichthyobodo and White Patches on Fish's Skin

Thank you for all your replies, I'm feeling a bit lost and hopeless. I have TONS of fish meds but I'm not sure what to use on him, and I don't want to subject him to the hospital tank again until I KNOW what's wrong with him.

I don't think it's velvet because when I shine the flashlight on him there is no gold dust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts