The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. So a long story short: I received a male Badis that was missing an eye. I got sent a replacement and as soon as I got another one I questioned if it was a female. I allowed some time to go by and there still isn't impressive coloring and it simply looks draub/brown.

My scarlet Badis started hanging out together today after my weekly water change. I SWEAR the one on the left looks like a female. There has been no fighting, displaying of colors or anything. Advice please??????

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had males that looked like that and I had the same thing where there was no fighting they hung out together, but when my colorful male died I had two like that color up & become obvious males & started displaying to each other. It could be a more colorful female.
But my guess is it's a less dominant male. If the fins are not extended as much and the fins don't have red then more likely to be female. Only one way to know for sure?

·
Registered
673 Posts
That's a male. If there is any question to whether it looks like a male or female it's a male. They don't look alike. It's lighter in color because it's not dominant. Put it on it's own and it will color up like the other one.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I'd say remove the bright one, maybe put it in a temporary tank with lots of cover to keep it calm, and see if the other one colors up at all. Best way to be sure.
Your one-eyed male should be perfectly fine as long as it has plenty of food. Fish are durable.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I got tricked into getting 1 male and 3 females the guy swear up and down they were females it turns out that I got 4 males so I ended up having to give two away. I have a heavily planted 17 gal tank and 50 shrimps with 10 tetras. when I had the 4 males they never fought and have seen swimming together peacefully. When I gave the 2 greyish color away my friend later sent me photo of them turning up a nicer reddish color differently males.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.