The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved my 6 scarlet badis from my home aquarium to my work aquarium because I had live water fleas spawning at work and read that scarlet badis are picky eaters. They have been here at work for about 2 months. Tank is an 8 gallon nano. 2 of my Badis are stark white.. Are these ones being bullied? I'd move them home but my home tank is 80 gallons, and 82 degrees, is that to warm for them?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Unless you have a female badis (lack color), most likely the scarlet badis are stressed out for one reason or another.

6 badis in a 8 gallon tank is too much, being that badis (most likely all males) are territorial. They are probably stressed out by the other males, especially if there is not enough plants to hide in.

But just to rule out, check your water parameters of the work tank (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp, etc).
If you have any ammonia or nitrite reading, do a water change.

Almost certain it's a fighting issue though. Provide more hiding areas in the tank in the mean time. It's is best to rehome most of them if they are to be kept in the 8 gallon (maybe just keep 2).

What's the parameters of your home tank?
What do you keep in there that needs the higher temps? Discus
Pretty sure 82*F is a bit too warm for them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a mated pair of Electric Blue Rams at home and a school of Rummynose. I had an ick outbreak at home as well... So im treating that tank. I read 76 degrees is about as high as a Scarlet badis should be?

From this link, the one im talking about is the top female on the right, but the thing is I do not remember her being THAT pale while they were in my 80 gallon.

Scarlet Badis - Badis Bengalensis - Dario Dario

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I haven't bred Badis myself, but when I researched them before I do recall people mentioning them changing colors. The top right does look like a female. Are there signs of distress? Rapid breathing, not eating, scared, etc.

I am not familiar with the females colors based on mood, maybe those are the normal colors when not in spawning condition, or are their spawning colors (I don't know). If signs of distress are there, it may be stress, the males could be harassing her/them too much. I am not sure if males get territorial against females. I wouldn't think so, but again I am not the most knowledgeable on Badis/Dario. I've only briefly had interest in them, but never gone as far as breeding them.

With a smaller tank/water volume (such as the 8 gallon vs 60 -less dilution), water parameters can fluctuate easier. Check the water parameters to make sure those are not a direct issue (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH, KH, Temperature).

@jaliberti has mentioned breeding quite a lot of labyrinth fish. He might have more knowledge on them.
I have seen female badis be that pale and still healthy/not in distress. I am sure there are breeding articles/threads on badis that might detail the female color changes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
... I read 76 degrees is about as high as a Scarlet badis should be?

From this link, the one im talking about is the top female on the right, but the thing is I do not remember her being THAT pale while they were in my 80 gallon.

Scarlet Badis - Badis Bengalensis - Dario Dario
Has that info been copy/pasted to your website? I've bred only 2 egg scatters, dario & rasbora. I can't agree that dario die shortly after reproducing, as your website implies. I selected the alpha pair from 12 fish and they bred several times during one Summer and would probably have continued if left together. IMO 76 degrees is too cold for breeding and to bring out the best coloration. Having said that, I can't see anything wrong with that albino looking female, she appears to be eating. Breed her if you've got the time, see how many offspring come out like that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, that website is not mine, simply a reference for what color my Scarlet badis has become.

What temp do you recommend?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bred them at 80F. Apparently the species is subtropical, northeast India into Nepal, roughly the same latitude as Taiwan. This means more pronounced seasons vs tropical species. 76F could well be an average annual temperature, but I suspect it would range from a few degrees lower than that during the peak of Winter to a few degrees higher than that during the peak of Summer, and that breeding would coincide with the peak of Summer when insect life might be most abundant. Maintaining temperatures at the higher end of the range is associated with higher metabolism, eating more, growing more, more activity, breeding, best coloration. So far so good. But IME fish burn out faster if kept at the high end of their temperature range for too long. You need to decide what your priorities are: fish that will look their best but will die within a few months, or fish less brilliantly colored that will live for years.

My experience with this species is limited to just one Summer. This forum contains 105 threads with "dario" in the titles. You might peruse them and look for info from a member who could have many years of experience with the species. IMO 1st hand knowledge passed on from an experienced breeder trumps "info" from websites written by armchair experts. All the best!

Reactions: WaterLife
1 - 7 of 7 Posts