The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Everyone,

So I recently got a pair of scarlet badis in my 30 gal dirted tank. Seemed to take to the live microfauna in my planted tank well. Saw the male eat a little worm (not sure what kind) and the female eating small snail eggs within minutes of introducing. The female went into deep hiding, taking a while to find the second day. When I did see her, for a moment, she was strangely scratching.. several swipes against the bottom pretty aggressively, then back to hiding. The very next morning after introduction, I noticed the male had a dark spot/blotch on his left side..

I let them be for a few days, then picked up what were either two more females, or an immature male and a female. Upon introducing them I realized a shrimp was eating my previous female- she died within two days of being introduced... Totally weird.. Water is perfect and cycled for a month, but may have some tannin from wood.

So here's what worries me.. I did introduce 3 species of snails, 2 from a friends tank (turban and balloon) and one from my little bird pond outside, which are wild snails (I think native here, not sure what kind). Im concerned about the scratching the female did just the day before she died. Also now reading about black spot and flukes and their relation to snails. However I dont know if it could have kicked in so fast- she died on day two and the male had the dark spots on day two.. doesn't seem like a definite connection.

Male seems ok, a bit active especially on his reflection it seems, and towards the beta male, but eats and is often just relaxed, with no scratching. Could the pigmentation be black spot? and could it have come on in 12 hours after introduction? It is especially different/visible on his left side only.

See attached photos of both sides of the male. Not good because he doesn't sit still.. but maybe can be helpful. It seems like dark pigment beneath the scales but hard to get a real close look. Many thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a very similar concern with my batteries. When I first got my Battis I had six and I lost two right away. The other four have been thriving and seem healthy. However I noticed recently, after about two weeks of having them, that they have black spots on them as well that look like the ones in your photos. I was concerned of the same health applications that you were. I am considering treating them with lifeguard however they share a tank with shrimp and I can’t treat them with the shrimp in there. I’m concerned about moving them to a hospital tank because if it is a parasite the whole thing should be treated anyways. That means I would have to move the shrimp and three of them have eggs so it is not ideal.
Did you learn anything from your experience? I have seen a few other photos of that is with the same black mark on them so I’m wondering if it’s common to that species and if it’s anything to worry about?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts