The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got these two angelfish... One is a relatively small male and the other is a relatively small female. The male is desperately afraid of pretty much anything, and the female I just moved from an abusive tank with another male who was going to kill her. So the male has been happily swimming around in the most heavily planted tank that I own. The only one with CO2 and of course things are just BOOMING in there for growth (compared to my other tanks, that is).

After I pulled the abused girl out of the tank with Mr. Abuser, I had her in isolation for a few weeks, letting her heal up and she seemed dang chipper and healed right up. all her fins came back in less time than I thought it would take and she just seemed fine.

Thinking I'd try to give my shy guy some exposure to someone else, I transferred her to his tank. I thought, "There should be no problems here, there's lots of stuff to hide behind and the male is extremely shy and probably won't abuse the female, and the female just got out of an abusive relationship and so maybe she won't abuse HIM..." As soon as she entered the tank, He hid. I was not surprised at all, but the next day, I look and He's just fine and normal but She is no where to be found. (I eventually found her looking scared to death and hiding under a piece of driftwood - still vertical, though...)

Do you guys think she'll eventually come out of hiding? Anyone had this kind of thing happen before? Do you think she thinks he's going to abuse her?

I know, it's only been a day, and only time will tell (if we stand the test of time) lol, the 80s...

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
These are hard to answer because you can sway dominance back and forth between angels simply be changing their surroundings and certainly by removing an alpha.

How do you know they're male and female, are they a mated or proven pair? I would bet your "shy guy" is now defending his/her new home from the outsider while you aren't looking. Your best bet for successfully relocating and pairing off angels is by adding more than 3, all at the exact same time.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know they're a male and a female because the female was mated previously to a very dominant male - they laid eggs and everything. The male is a male because he kept trying to win females from the dominant male before I separated him from that group - also he showed his very male-looking breeding tube on several occasions. I've had a few breeding pairs of angels and I do know what they look like. ;)

I've just never had angels that are THIS shy before. It's a little bewildering.

I do intend to rearrange some things in this tank very soon - a lot of the plants are getting overpowering and I want some of the slower-growing ones to have a chance.

Sometimes angels are like... super drama fish. seriously!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Angels can huge drama fish, they seem to have more personality than any fish I've ever seen. That said, each one is completely different, totally unpredictable. Have you ever condsidered parasites of some sort? When mine started hiding and darting off, I thought that it was just the fish, turned out to be internal parasites. If you can surely rule disease out, try adding some small, peaceful, schooling fish. Dither fish are probably the best way to bring shy Angels out of hiding. I personally like cardinal tetras for this purpose as they seem to grow to large for the angels to eat and school nicely when being chased. Good luck, and watch them VERY CLOSELY, they can turn on each other in a blink.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've noticed that some fish just HATE to be moved around. Cichlids in particular! The older they are then the more 'touchy' they can be. When fry and juveniles get moved around it takes one or two hours and then their voracious appetites are too much for them and they're back to begging. But mature fish can go on a hunger strike for a week and not flinch.

I have one female angel, she's never been abused. She's pretty mellow and easy going. I had her trained to eat from my fingers. However, when I moved her from the 46b to my 75g she hid for over a week and refuse to say hello. When I'd try to coax her she would stay in the back corner and face the back of the tank - away from me. There was no other large fish in the tank, only small schooling tetras and corys. After a week I used either frozen bloodworms or live blackworm to get her eating again.

But, I also agree w/ the others and recommend extra attention to watch what dynamics may develop between these two. It may be helpful to pull both fish out, re-arrange some plants, driftwood or rocks, then introduce both fish back at the same time.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rod Hay - that's a good idea. I need to check up on them, the female is hiding exceptionally well today. Their tank is due for some pruning at least. And, worst case scenario, I can always put her back in quarantine for a while until some other tank opens up...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts