The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 10 Neon Tetras, 5 Red Cherry Shrimp, and 5 Assassin Snails. Three of the shrimp have no problems coming out into the open but two of them stay in a groove of the heater by the heater's suction cups. There's hardly any room there for them to move but at the same time, the fish can't get there either. The only time they move is during a water change but as soon as water is added, they go back. They definitely do not look as healthy as the other three shrimp, probably because they're not eating or swimming to the same extent.

Clearly they're afraid of the Neons. All I can hope for is that they do come out at night to eat but I feel bad seeing them motionless for hours on end in their tight hiding spot.

I don't think there's anything I can do, is there?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's plenty of cover which the other three are using. There's lots of plants and two pieces of driftwood that form a sort of "cave" for hiding.

Unfortunately, I just walked in after the lights have been off for several hours and they're still in that small crevice. At this rate, I suspect it's just a matter of time before they die.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If you look at them closely you should be able to see whether their digestive tracts are full or not (dark line running the length of the shrimp, ends at the start of the tail.) If they have empty digestive tracts, they aren't eating and will die eventually (it takes longer than you'd think though.) If that's the case, you could try putting a small piece of blanched spinach in their hiding place, or immediately next to it, and see if that gets them eating. If they do have partially or fully filled digestive tracts then they're eating something and will likely be fine, if unexciting pets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.