The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!
This is my first post, just found this site a few days ago, and very much excited to be a part of it =) Anywho, on to the sad story. My cousin and I noticed that all the males were runnin all over the tank lookin for this one specific female, whom was caught in the act later on lol (disturbing images!!!) Well a few hours later I found that she had lowered all her eggs to her swimmerettes (I think thats what they're called) and was happily tucking them in. I was just so excited, she was the first pregnant shrimp as I just got them a few weeks ago. A few minutes later two males creeped up on her which made her spring up, dropping half of her eggs!!! She still had the other half of the eggs so I didnt feel to bad. Well I found her about half an hour later casually shaking off the rest!!! *sigh* I guess she just didnt feel like going through it with only half the eggs? lol My tanks pretty heavily planted with plenty of hiding places but is this sorta thing common? Since it was her first pregnancy, could her placing of the eggs been bad?

If anyone has any tips or advice, It'd be greatly appreciated. I've noticed some tanks have lil caves or half pipes. Are those reccomended? Anyways, thanks in advance, and again, I'm excited to be a part of this forum =)

Are-Jay

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
If this is her first time carrying eggs, it doesn't surprise me. A few of my first time moms dropped their eggs for no reason. After that they've kept them full term.

·
Registered
845 Posts
That or they weren't fertile, so she dropped them.

What kind of shrimp are you keeping? RCS???

·
Registered
194 Posts
Shrimp eggs

Still the best plant to have for any invertabates is MOSS.your success will be almost 100%.also you can observe babies when they are so small they can hardly be seen.java moss works great and is the cheapest to purchase.
cornhusker

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replys everyone. I'm relieved its normal for first time mothers to do that. I have quite a few other cherrys with saddles so heres hoping they don't all have the first time jitters lol I actually have quite a bit of java moss in my tank so I guess I'm set! I'll try to get a pic of my tank up soon =)

·
Registered
670 Posts
That's too bad -I know it can be quite disappointing when stuff like that happens. It won't be long before she has eggs again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts