The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to set up my new aquarium. It's not a true cube (18.25" x 20.25" x 20") but close enough. I got the tank for free from a friend and wanted to get into planted fresh as just something to add some beauty and ambiance to my place of residence.

So here's the basic rundown of what I'm going after thus far:

Substrate is going to be black diamond medium blasting media.
I would like some schools of smaller fish, like Green Neon Tetras, rummynose (maybe), and a pair of German Blue Rams.

As for aquascaping, I was considering an Iwagumi, using a medium grey w/ white streak stone. My Oyashi being in the 2/3 left-rear of the aquarium with a good "hill" of substrate running up it, and the other stones in a quasi random arrangement towards the front right. The substrate would slope front right, to a "creek" in the middle, to the rear left. The hills would have a low green carpetting plant, keeping the plants out of the "stream" area in the middle. Don't know if I would use different substrate color to accent it or not.

Alternatively, I've been putting some thought into a "tree" as well, but I have no idea where I am going to find a good candidate for this.

For lighting, I'm running 2x Current Satellite Plus Pro's (18-24").

Filtration will be an Eheim 2215 or 2217, still waiting on a decent deal to pick one up.

Anyone have any other good cube ideas to throw my way?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
For schools I would go for one or the other not both, larger schools are more impressive, and the 2 tetras would occupy the same area.
For 'creeks' I would suggest using decorative sand it makes the scape much more vibrant that keeping it bare with black substrate at the 'creek'. I'm not a huge fan of tree scapes unless they are really well done (but that's just me), and I think they should be the focus of a scape if included.
I imagine what you currently described as being something like this, and I think it would be a great plan of action for a cube: (Sorry to whoever's scape this is just saw it online)

Alternatively I think the height of a cube lends itself well to building a corner in with driftwood then having Java Fern or something similar as the mounds coming out from the corner.
This is what I mean (This scape is by Felipe Oliveira): Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant

Sorry for the lengthy post! Hope it gives you some ideas, also I hope all the pictures appeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, thank you for the lengthy post. I'm looking for ideas, and the more information the better. I'm a mechanical engineer. I can keep large amounts of stuff up front and visualized.

That first pic is more or less what I am aiming for if I do a "river" scape. I just don't know if I like the idea of possibly mixing substrates. What would be a good way to keep them away from each other? Some kind of baked clay barrier?

Instead of the rock overhanging the "river", what if that was a planted tree? That's kind of what I'm looking for if I did one.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
The first picture of Opare's post is my personal favorite scape idea. I love the giant rock formation that curls over some space. I've seen even more impressive overhangs accomplished. Almost entire loops and I think they look very cool. I do much prefer a rock scape, but I have very little experience with scaping. For my tanks, I prefer a wild jungle appearance which isn't a manicured scape.

If you do go with a large hill, a dry start may be a good idea to get a lot of plants rooted in the hill before adding water. Just make sure the substrate there is packed/wetted when being built up so that it retains the shape.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Yes I think have a piece of driftwood instead of the over-hanging rock would also look good. As for seperating substrates, you could just seperate them using rock barriers and different tiers/levels and be a diligent cleaner (thought it will be quite irritating to do).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.