The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys just wanted to get a bit of a critique and possibly some suggestions before I get planting this week. Going for a kinda swampy dead tree look which reminds me of a local area here in Wi. My main plant will be a carpet of Belem and perhaps some parvula and blyxa towards the back to add some height. I also have a bit of hygro araguaia for some color but not sure where to put it. I also have plenty of rock but I'm out of this particular style if wood, incase you think it needs some stone. Let me know what you think and please don't be shy, I handle criticism quite well.

Thanks a ton!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
The curved stick on the lower left seems out of place to me. All the rest seem fine. Maybe because it's laying down. Maybe push to the right and cover that "opening" and let the grass grow around it so it goes in and out of the grass?

Maybe the stones idea might make it look more natural. like the sticks got caught against stones on a creek bed, all the same direction of course.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey Kevin,

First, I would suggest you start with the end in mind. What type of layout are you going for? Here are some examples of aquascaping style layouts.

Second, use the driftwood to frame your layout. Try to break the aquarium out into thirds and place your focal point in one of the thirds. For example, the tall branch on the left seems to be the focal point because it's taller than the others. Place that in the third point either right or left. Then place the two branches that have horizontal branches with it to add weight to that side.

Finally, place the other pieces on the opposing side to balance out the layout. Keep in mind perspective so use smaller pieces. You may want to break some of the branches on the right into two smaller pieces.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The piece in the middle and the low runner that comes toward the front it one piece. It covers a bit of ground so it's tough to move. Would rocks look weird in the middle to break up that gap?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts