The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks! I'll soon be getting a 125 gallon tank (standard 72" x 18.5" footprint) and will be placing it as a room divider between the living room and dining room, so it will be viewed from both sides (and one end). I've never done an aquascape in this fashion before, so I'm looking for suggestions. One way I've been thinking about, is to create a valley that runs diagonally from opposite corners, so that both long sides have a high point/hill to one end and lower elevations toward the opposite end. Another thing I've been thinking about is having a long piece of driftwood running diagonally, along the valley, again so both sides will have a similar view. I realize that this viewing scheme will be challenging, especially with only a 1.5 foot depth to work with, so any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could try s peninsula scape, with tall stems down the middle as a divider
I've thought about that, but I think that would look too flat, with the tank being only 18 inches deep, front to back. That's why I was thinking of the lower "valley" running diagonally to opposite corners, so there would be overlapping layers, giving a sense of depth. But thanks for the input, theatermusic, I'd like to hear any and all suggestions, I think it's gonna be a tough one to 'scape well!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe a center piece only, leaving sides/fronts open for fish to run circles around it. An atoll, of sorts.
That's a possibility I hadn't thought about. I'm so used to a front and back, and creating depth in that regard, that I didn't even think about a center piece only. But even using that idea, it's gonna be hard to design a really good two-sided aquascape. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Just a thought along the lines of what AWolf mentioned - find the right wood hardscape that is big enough to look right in the middle of the tank and looks good from both sides. Grow various ferns/mosses on it with maybe some carpeting plants or very low growing plants all the way around the moss covered hardscape.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would probably do a layout in the shape of an "s" - i. e. tall plants in two diagonally opposite corners, short ones in the other two opposite corners. Hardscape running diagonally.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a thought along the lines of what AWolf mentioned - find the right wood hardscape that is big enough to look right in the middle of the tank and looks good from both sides. Grow various ferns/mosses on it with maybe some carpeting plants or very low growing plants all the way around the moss covered hardscape.
I would probably do a layout in the shape of an "s" - i. e. tall plants in two diagonally opposite corners, short ones in the other two opposite corners. Hardscape running diagonally.
Immortal1, yeah, I was thinking about a long piece of driftwood for the focal point.

Jaye, yes, I am thinking along those lines of tall growth in opposite corners and low growing cover in the other opposite corners and in the middle, running diagonally, with a few large swords here and there, around a nice piece of driftwood. But I may set the tall feature just shy of the end of the tank that is open, away from the wall, so it would have a "mini scene" as viewed from that end.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Olskule

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.