The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
Having in mind Iceland and the Scandinavian area, I tried to recreate a Icelandic looking prairie or something like that. On the foreground I have some HC, the middle/background I have Eleocharis Belem and on the hill I have some Pogostemon helferi.
The tank is 22 gallons, CO2(DIY), 12 hours of light(LED DIY) and EI.
What are your thoughts? I'm missing something?Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
take it easy on the light... 12hrs is a lot and you have like no plants in that tank. I can see this turning into algae city
Yep I'm a bit worried about that. :| Should switch to 8 or 10 hours a day? (I have been running the tank like that for 10 days like that and plants are growing like crazy, especially Eleocharis Belem.)

bereninga, andrewdingemans
Thanks guys!

Mister green, cmdR_CHRIS
Yep I definitely agree I should get some bigger rocks, I just can't fin the same color in a bigger size. With the sand mmm... I'm not quite sure lol, if i don't like it it would be basically impossible to remove.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Yep, But I can't find any black lava rocks in any aquarium, garden center or anywhere around here just red ones, which I'm not really keen about. I´ll keep searching. :)
I know you have black lava rocks down in Mexico. Molcajete are made out of the it. :)

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Oh, you live in Mérida! So envious! If you were here in the States I'd grab you some black lava rock... but as MisterGreen pointed out, there should be a fair amount of it available down there. Maybe at landscaping centers?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, you live in Mérida! So envious! If you were here in the States I'd grab you some black lava rock... but as MisterGreen pointed out, there should be a fair amount of it available down there. Maybe at landscaping centers?
Cheers! Have you ever been here?
Yep there is plenty in Mexico city but here in the South everything is limestone(Picture).

I got the ones in the tanks in a garden center but they did not have any bigger chunks, except for molcajetes :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

What about the light mates, do you think I could start getting problems with algae soon?

Attachments

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Speaking of molcajetes, if anybody make it in your area, you can stop by and buy a big rock from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Scandanavian look? Are you putting the tank on an Ikea stand? :laugh2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Scandanavian look? Are you putting the tank on an Ikea stand? :laugh2:
Why not, I kinda love ikea, lol (Probably the stand won't hold enough weight thought).

Well Everything growing great specially HC and E. Belem. Besides this little lads are giving me a hand with algae. (See the plants before and after cleaning)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts