The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Captain
75g, 40g, 20g
3,617 Posts
Great spreadsheet of data! Still looking thru it.
First thing that jumps out at me is the PUR data. My crazy collage of lights at full power gets maybe high 50's to maybe 60 PUR.
Your SBReef easily hits high 60's and in several instances low 70's on the PUR data. In my opinion this is a significant jump in "usable" light and something I also noticed in the data that @Greggz was providing with the various T5HO bulbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I'm looking for a new light to go on my 30 gallon I just switched to from a 20 long. Will this fit a 36" tank or is 30 the max? Also if I need to make a custom mount to fit a 36" tank will the spread of the light work on a tank that wide? For the price of the basic 16" you get sooo much light.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a 16" SBreef fixture on a 24" wide 17g. It won't work on a 36" wide tank. You'll either need 2x16" fixtures or 1x32" fixture.

Bump: The lenses are a mix of 90 and 120 degree depending upon the spectrum of each led.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I hate to necro an old thread, but I have these lights, and just now noticed that I really like the way the tank looks with only the clue channel on. Does the PUR data suggest that the plants are receiving all of the wavelengths that they require with only the Blue channel? I'm sure that is that PUR means, but I'm not very familiar with the term.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hi @jeffkrol

Seeing how you're the resident expert on lighting, if you combine the data @SingAlongWithTsing put in the OP, and the diode layout chart of channel "A" (blue channel), would you say that channel (A) of this light would provide an adequate spectrum for plants? Purely by accident, I had only the blue channel on my light for a couple of minutes, and found I loved the way it looked. If it won't grow the plants well then obviously it's not an option, but I wanted to ask the question. Again, sorry to necro an old thread. I went google searching to answer the question, and this thread almost got me to where I needed to be.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Hi @jeffkrol

Seeing how you're the resident expert on lighting, if you combine the data @SingAlongWithTsing put in the OP, and the diode layout chart of channel "A" (blue channel), would you say that channel (A) of this light would provide an adequate spectrum for plants? Purely by accident, I had only the blue channel on my light for a couple of minutes, and found I loved the way it looked. If it won't grow the plants well then obviously it's not an option, but I wanted to ask the question. Again, sorry to necro an old thread. I went google searching to answer the question, and this thread almost got me to where I needed to be.

Intensity, spread, and what you enjoy is more important than spectrum for the most part.
Plants adapt.

Ch A is full spectrum inc. violet and cyan so no real gaps..

* MIXING LIST
----------------------------------------
LED Violet (430nm) [120°] x2
LED Blue (470nm) [120°] x6
LED Cyan (490nm) [120°] x4
LED Green (520nm) [120°] x2
LED DeepRed (640nm) [120°] x2
LED DeepRed (660nm) [120°] x4
LED CoolWhite (8000K) [120°] x4
LED WarmWhite (3000K) [120°] x4

* SIMULATION DATA
Luminous flux : 1,624 lm
Radiant flux : 8,996 mW
PPF : 40 umol/s
TCP : ‑ K
CRI : 42
λp : 468 nm
Color : #938BFF
Doing some crude analysis of that spectrum it's pretty cool but as I said no missing "parts".
Intensity combined w/ the heavy blue should color up plants.
The look is subjective, CRI is prob. low and K temp high.
Estimates are hard because different manuf/colors have different efficiencies and this will shift things a bit

To help me understand the light, what is the tone it looks like on a white surface.?
BTW I consider myself just a technician more than lighting expert.. ;)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Here are some pics from a while back in an empty tank. The back wall is painted pure white, so that will give a bit of an indication.

Channel A only:

Channel B only:

Both channels:

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Here are some pics from a while back in an empty tank. The back wall is painted pure white, so that will give a bit of an indication.

Channel A only:

Thanks ,yea as expected..See color patch top.left

They did well in creating the 2 channels assuming one would balance cool w/ warm-ish

For fun, one on the right is calculated "A".
Left is just playing w/ it to do a quick mod w/ minimal diode changes
and low impact on overall blue.
I'm sure there are better.

·
Registered
683 Posts
So... long story short, if I like the way channel A looks on its own, it will grow plants just fine. Correct?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts