SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
October 10 2011

Dimension: 10G
Light: [STRIKE]2 x 14Watts CFL [/STRIKE] Odyssea 2x 18 Watts T5HO
Substrate: 20lb Eco-Complete + 4.4lb Fluval Stratum + 4.4lb Fluval Stratum
Hard Scape: Seiryu Stones ~17lb
Photo Period Hours: [STRIKE]6am - 6pm (12 hours/ day)[/STRIKE] 10am - 8pm (10 hours/ day)

Comments/ Concerns/ Critics/ Opinions are welcome!
This is my first time emersed setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Is that Aquasoil? I would drop the water level down farther, like maybe 1/4". Also, make sure to vent the air once or twice a week.

I had about 4 pots worth of HC and planted randomly throughout the tank. I waited about 3 months to fill it up.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that Aquasoil? I would drop the water level down farther, like maybe 1/4". Also, make sure to vent the air once or twice a week.

I had about 4 pots worth of HC and planted randomly throughout the tank. I waited about 3 months to fill it up.

No its 20lb Eco-complete, so should I lower my water still? too floody?

Whats vent the air once or twice a week? like open the saran wrap the whole day? I did poke many holes with a pencil on the wrap like 15 holes.
And mist the whole tank once a day.

And my temp is hot... because of my light? (2 x 14 Watts CFL 6500k bulbs)
** thermometer is showing the air temperature inside the tank. Notice the thermometer is not under water but hanging in the air.

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Temp might be a little high. I have saran wrap on my tank without any holes and once or twice a week I open a corner and kind of exchange the air out by blowing into the tank and pushing down on the wrap to let air out. This process takes about 2 minutes at most. By having holes in the wrap, you are causing humidity to escape, which can cause the plants to dry out.

Yes, I would lower the water more than what you have pictured.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Updates!

HC... ehh.... Not spreading, instead its growing upwards...

New lights today, 2x 18 watts T5HO from Ebay... yay!

So I'm going to give this HC another week with this new light. Lets see how it go.

*btw when should I start flooding the tank? Is the roots deep/ strong enough by now?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
if your doing it dry start why not let it fill in befor you flood it? it will grow faster with it not being flooded so if there is no rush like fish coming in the mail or anything simaler then let it get full imo. haveing it vented helps bring in new air which isnt bad! you just have to make sure it doesnt dry out. are u doing co2 on this tank? if so have u thought about keeping the seranwrap on there and adding co2 to help it along even more?

btw i like that u thought outside the box an had the tank tilted so it wasnt ½ submerged ½dry. id really wait though on flooding it unless you have to rush it.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if your doing it dry start why not let it fill in befor you flood it? it will grow faster with it not being flooded so if there is no rush like fish coming in the mail or anything simaler then let it get full imo. haveing it vented helps bring in new air which isnt bad! you just have to make sure it doesnt dry out. are u doing co2 on this tank? if so have u thought about keeping the seranwrap on there and adding co2 to help it along even more?

btw i like that u thought outside the box an had the tank tilted so it wasnt ½ submerged ½dry. id really wait though on flooding it unless you have to rush it.

yup I use CO2, with saran wrap and poked 4 holes. (1 hole co2 tubing, 3 holes for circulation). I turn off my co2 at night/ lights off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'll be watching

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATES!!!!! December 4, 2011 (Day 54)

So big jump update:

1. Re-plant HC (did not buy more HC!, just replant whats grown).
  2. Rescape my aquarium, bottom layer 20lb Eco-Complete, top layer 4.4lb Fluval Stratum.
  3. Added 3 Seiryu Stones (~17lb).
So... Back to dry start! Heres pictures,, cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Glad it's working out better for you this time. What's the temperature inside the tank now? It seemed like it was way too hot last time. Maybe keep the light off the tank so the heat escapes outside, not inside the tank.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts