·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all my name is Bill and I tripped over a link and got to this site;
I’m glad to be here! <G>. I hope that you folks can teach an “old dog”
some new tricks. I won’t give you my age but will tell the “senior”
members of the group that at one time living in Philadelphia, I was
a customer of the legendary “Barrett’s Aquarium”.

I have been in and out of the hobby off and on for over forty years
and if I must say so, I do have a lot of experience with many species
of tropical fish including the Discus, back in the seventies I use
to raise them.

Now when it comes to plants I must confess the truth, I know nothing!
Zero – Zip and if that weren’t enough, I have been known to kill even
plastic ones.

All of this said I have come here to learn and chased down one of my
fantasies, a live green planted aquarium. Here is my current set up in
a 29 gallon tank. New light by Nova with 1-65K and 1 12k tube. Substrate for the tank is all black Florite from SeaChem at 2 ½” deep. Fishes are numerous Tetras and some Swordtails and Cory cats. Starting back into the hobby I lost a lot of fish. I could not figure out why until I learned about proper water testing and parameters (back in the day, we only checked pH).

My water is from a well with a pH of 5.5 a GH of 1, and a KH that’s barely
there at all. To that end I have created and maintained the following parameters:
pH 7.5 to 7.8, Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0, Ammonia 0, GH of 8o or 143.2 and a
KH of 6 or 107.5 the tank temp is at 77o. The chosen plants so far are Wisteria, Giant Amazon Sword, and Ludwigia reopens. I was smart enough not to have any food for these plants to start with; realizing my mistake, I put in a rush order for SeaChem Flourish, and Flourish tabs, both of which have been administered to the plants.

My problems now? I just bought some new plants, by the fist full, they were in bunches,and all have a lead weight on them to hold them together. I was told to plant them with a weight on and they will do fine. Problem? Yes, I forgot to ask to LPS just what their name is, so that I can properly care for them. Stand by for a photo attachment
if I am allowed to do so being new? Could use help with the proper ID and I am trying to get a good close up for you folks.

bill1433

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi minfishroom!

"Semper Fi"????????????????????????????

Yes, but how did you know? <G>

I just got here!

bill1433

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi bill and nice to meet you.

Can't help too much with the plant IDs. But one thing is for sure lose the weights!

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Bill! Welcome.

That water your well spits out is nearly PERFECT for Cardinia shrimp, which I guarantee if you stick around here, you'll be trying.

It'll need to be reconstituted with a mineralizer, but that's besides the point.

So plants? The plant you have an abundance of seems to be a Hydrocote S. I don't know which one though.

The plants that look like they have forks are a Water Wisteria species.

The stem plants that are short in the front and a little larger to the back are either a bacopa or ludwigia species, I can't tell there yet. I would lean way more towards bacopa.

And the deep green leafy plant that looks like it belongs in a pot seems like it is Anubias. Do not 'plant' this plant. It's 'roots' (which is actually its rhizome) do not belong under gravel. The small little hair like roots are OK to plant, but they really don't do much to keep it in place. Planting the rhizome will cause it to melt. Attach it to wood or rest it on the top of the gravel.

Otherwise, you've got a nice bit of plants there.. Time now to start aquascaping. I hope that isn't where you'll leave everything?

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Wizza,

Nice to met you. The guy at the store says to plant them as is???????

I just finished telling you folks that I know nothing about plants but lead weights
and water?????I dunno.

Left the weights on because taking them off looks like I may damage the plant
roots although they are very tiny.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I need all the help I can get. <g>

bill1433

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi MABJ,

Thanks for your reply. It's the plant close or in front that I don't know about.
We bought it Friday night as they were reasonably priced and looked great. As I just mentioned, the guy at the store says to plant them as is with these tiny weights on
them. I was cleaver enough NOT to ask him what the plants are. Weekend now, store is closed so there's no way to call back and find out until after the Holidays.

It was my wife who remarked, "My they are beautiful plants, what do you call them dear"? It was at that exact moment that I had a tremendous flashback to Clark W. Griswald in "Christmas Vacation"!

This entire tank is only a hold out until the warmer weather gets back here.
We have a campaign going for a 75-gallon, yes with plants----_____I hope;
that really depends on what you folks can teach me.

bill1433

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Well there's lots we can teach.

I'm a low tech guy, and at first most people are

Why don't you google the plant names I gave and try to match them with plants in your tank? :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did that already but not enough smarts to insure
a possitive ID. <g> Alos checked other sites for possible
photo ID just not sure. Might as well be honest with you.

One thing though, if the guy said plant them as is, can we at least
assume that we are talking about a "stemmed plant" here?

bill1433

·
Registered
103 Posts
The lead weights tend to be there for display purposes NOT to be used permanently.
The idea is to plant them separately. Allowing the plants to get there share of light.(and nutrients!)

Don't forget they are also going to grow!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Wizza,

I hate to ask but do you know of a way to get that thing
off without hurting the plant? They are really crimped very tight.
Of course, that may damage them to begin with yes?

bill1433

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Wizza,

I hate to ask but do you know of a way to get that thing
off without hurting the plant? They are really crimped very tight.
Of course, that may damage them to begin with yes?

bill1433
Exactly! It will only get worse as they grow/get thicker.

Generally you can just 'unwrap' the lead from the plants.

As a general rule. With stems (probably exceptions to the rule) I cut the bottom peace of each stem before planting anyway, to sort of 'start fresh'

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I gotcha, but the roots on these seem to be almost like
a filament type of thing. They are extremely fine. You have
to actually hold the plant up to a good bright light to see them. I
understand what you are saying but if I do that will the root come back
or will I kill the plant all together?

bill1433

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
Well, a good way to propagate stem plants is to clip off at least a few inches of the top, and plant it. Roots will grow anew, and you'll have two plants.

With that in mind, don't worry about harming the root systems if you have trouble getting the weights (which are most likely not "lead" anyway, so no worries about leaving them in the tank) off of the group of stems. In fact, you can just cut the bottoms of the stems off if you can't unwrap the weights.

While you're replanting, though, you ought to move the stem plants to the very back of the tank. They'll completely block out anything back there, otherwise. Leave the front to the smaller plants.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
You could just cut the stems above the weight if it seems impossible. I bought weighted stems a couple weeks ago, just found the end and unwrapped the plants. Mine were in poor shape so I washed the plants in a bowl of tank water and trimmed off damaged stuff. Roots on stem plants are fast growing and damaged stems are frustrating as they rot and the plant is just going to float free.

I am fumble fingers planting with my hands so always use my trusty hemostats. Any tweezers you can find are better than fingers and I have even read that chopsticks work. Do plant stems separately but they can be about the width of a leaf apart so they are still in a nice bush.

The pretty round leaved stems look like either
Clinopodium cf. brownei
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=311
or moneywort
http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_Lysimachia_nummularia_1.php
to me. Look through google images adding 'aquarium' to the search to see lots of photos of both plants.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
This forum revolves around a picture is worth a thousand words.

If we have specific pictures of species and things, we can give better advice on them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Both to Kevmo911 and Kathyy!

May I ask a dumb question? From what you are both trying
to teach me, might I assume that EACH one of these
individual, I don’t know the correct term of what you call them, piece’s, stems?

Are actually little plants ? Each piece is a plant or stem of a plant? They look great in
a bunch but I don’t know if they would stay healthy that way? Please forgive my ignorance, I’m just trying to learn. My Dad would always say to me, “Son, it’s not a sin to be ignorant, it’s only a sin to stay that way”! Ask questions, and learn.

Kathyy, I thought the plant looked more like moneywort too also but the stem? part
seems slimmer than the photo’s or is that only because the plants are so
young?

“Do plant stems separately but they can be about the width of a
leaf apart so they are still in a nice bush”.

Sounds like a plan to me Kathyy, I just might give it a whirl. I have mail out to the LPS
so I can not give an answer to what the plants are suppose to be for sure. Of course, I think we can, and should consider the possibility that the store owner just maybe wrong anyway and you are right, as he may be only going by what is written on a shipping manifest to the store and not actual experience.
Here in “Coal Country”, Northeastern PA, plants are not a big item and few hobbyist around here have them. We have very limited LPS and those are some distance away. An example? It took a hundred miles of driving just to get the plants in the pictures you are viewing now! You can also
say the same for the fish. Around here you don’t go anywhere without a good insulated box!
Again, many thanks for the help and please have a great & safe Holiday to you both.

bill1433

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
Yes, each stem is an individual plant. I can't help much with plant ID's, but that does look like moneywort, or something similar enough that it probably doesn't matter.

Buying from other hobbyists, through this site, is easily the best way to get high-quality plants at a good price. You may want to post a WTB thread in the Sales Forum, asking for a package, and including a picture of your tank. You might get some good suggestions as well as some cheap plants.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts