The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few years, I plan to have a tank designed just for these little beauties. I do love community tanks though, and even though I have read that these guys are not best suited for a community tank, there's always exceptions to the rules. I wonder if anyone has managed to successfully keep them in a community. If you have, could you please share the details?
Thank you for sharing your experiences :)
Water Organism Fin Fish Underwater

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I had these guys before. They eventually died off in my tank. Apparently they needed harder, more alkaline water. In addition, you need to have females in the tank or the males will end up killing each other. When I bought these guys, I ended up with all males. One by one, the weakest male would slowly get bullied until they withered away. Eventually I was left with one male which slowly succumbed to the soft water in my tank. They look great but you need to have females available and the correct water parameters.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had these guys before. They eventually died off in my tank. Apparently they needed harder, more alkaline water. In addition, you need to have females in the tank or the males will end up killing each other. When I bought these guys, I ended up with all males. One by one, the weakest male would slowly get bullied until they withered away. Eventually I was left with one male which slowly succumbed to the soft water in my tank. They look great but you need to have females available and the correct water parameters.
Thank you! Very good key points. I will be sure and make note of this info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.