The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having matured in my 55gal tank and installed a few other harmless inhabitants such as tetra and corys I went looking for some medium discus.

I must say I am appaled by the standard of fishkeeping in ALL of my local fish stores. Kept in tiny tiny tanks, badly treated and kept with large active fish. Today I saw a several large fish with very dark bodies very stressed and all trying to hide behind the one single uplift.

I haggled for two small pigeon blood fish which seemed despartely asking me to take them home. I got them for a song. Three days later they already look much better in my fully planted tank. At only 3 inches they are the biggest fish in the tank but are sill a little shy.

Can I have some feedback on the best way to get them to eat. They seem shy much of the day but do come out and look about. Their fins are already repairing and some good colour is coming back.

The shop guy claimed he fed them on flake but they dont seem interested, they only seem to nibble a tiny amount on bloodworm.

Chris

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discus can be rather picky for their food. They will not often eat dried food but once accustomed, they will.:proud: I have mine ate lots of food including flakes.:smile:

Good job rescuing the discus.:proud:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Since they were probably housed in a small tank, being in a larger tank probably makes them nervous. They probably would not venture too far out in search for food. They will eventually will feel more comfortable to explore the tank. Adding 3-4 active, very aggressive eating discus would make them feel at ease. Basically, if they see other discus buddies swimming around the tank, would make them feel everything is safe.

Try to feed your discus a variety of foods. I feed mine frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis shrimp, beefheart mix (made by a discus breeder), frozen brine shrimp, sinking carnivore pellets, tetra bits, and frozen peas (skinned). The carnivore pellets and tetra bits are supposed to enhance the color of the discus. I have to hand feed my discus with the frozen peas, since that is the only way they will eat them. If I just throw it into the tank, they will ignore it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What temp is the tank?? Try raising it to 86-88 degrees or higher to help increase their metabolic rate and stimulate their appetite. In general, discus like warmer temps.

What's the feces look like? If its white and stringy then they need treatment with an anti-parasitic med. like metronidazole. When discus are reluctant to eat that should always be suspect.

And like crazie.eddie said, discus do better if kept in groups of maybe 5 or more.
At first they provide security for each other and later it spreads the aggression out so, hopefully a smaller one dosen't get picked on all the time.

Doug N

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Raising the temp will increase their metabolism, I would go to 90F. Keep in mind when you buy Discus from a LFS they are probably kept at 70 some degrees and are probably loaded with worms, bacteria, etc. Their poop and eyes are good indicators of health......DC

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what color poop means what?

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Blue poop means they are COLTS fans :red_mouth
Could also mean they were Michigan fans, which would require a cull......DC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts