The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at Petsmart today (I needed to pick up some emergency trace for my fert regime), when I came across the poor lil cups containing these beautiful fish. I always sneek a peek at them and tell myself I'll save one again, one of these days. I saved one years ago, but never thought of getting anothert one. Anyways....I have my 10G setup, which already houses 2 platys. I was cycling this tank for some nano fish, but then decided today I was going to save a betta. I decided on a crowntail betta. I was torn between this blue/red one or a regular white colored one. I haven't seen many white ones, but I finally decided on the blue/red crowntail. I forgot how inquistive they are! He hid for a while in the back, but as soon as I came to the front of the tank and started talking to him, he swam right up to me! :smile: He let me take some very nice pics of him too! So here they are..... everyone, meet Elvis! LOL :hihi:

-Elvis Voice- Thank you....thank you very much. hehehe:wink:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) Thanks James! He's got some growing to do, so I'm hoping his finnage really explodes! ;)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was surprised how he didn't mind me taking pics of him. He's quite the ham. LOL He loves the camera almost as much as my Westie does! :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Elvis voice: "You're too kind, too kind!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thats a crown tail betta and his tail is suppose to look like that. Petsmart is about the only place that you can get black betta do to the insane number they get in each week there chances of coming across one is so much higher. Nice find though great looking fish.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wow, what a beautiful betta. Sure glad you got to take him home to live in a wonderful house like that rather than rot on the PetChain shelf or taken home by someone who does not properly know how to take care. He seems like a very good pal.
My partnet used to have a male and female. Most interesting fish I have ever had in my house.
Long Live Elvis(fish)!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! :) I'll be sure to let Elvis know he's got fans! LOL

·
Registered
659 Posts
Gorgeous! I'd like to set up a 10g just so I can get a betta sometime.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just thought I'd put in my two cents - first, if he's like any of the other crowntails I've picked up at petsmart/co in my days, he'll fill out and be beautiful, and in a filtered tank he'll live to be quite old. you may consider setting up a community tank for him (30 gallons) with lots of females and lots of plants after he gets old. I have never put them in with girls when young and bubble-nesty. I have no desire to breed the little guys.

Also, Bettas never really stay at the store very long. they go through such huge volume because they're in such high demand. Most people know not to keep them in little cups, and the stores near here have a big warning on the cup "This cup is NOT a permanant home for your betta!". It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to think the stores are finally getting a clue about the education they need to be giving out when adopting out an animal, even when it's a short-lived and very popular betta. My 11-year old sister has had the same betta since she was 8 or 9, and he's still alive today. I'm so proud of her.

Congrats on your new boy!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Very nice little guy! I love the looks of bettas in planted tanks. And they do have so much personality. They let you know who the star of the tank is!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree! :) I have 2 platys with him in a planted 10G.

Elvis and the Platys! LOL Sounds like a music group. :) He knows he is the star of the show! LOL

·
Registered
89 Posts
pretty boy

you inspired me to "save" one too. My girl's not as fancy as your boy, but she sure is happy to be in a planted tank. Isn't it amazing how much they like to swim around!

·
Registered
803 Posts
"Elvis and the Platys".:icon_lol: FunnEEE!!! Yup, he's a looker allright! I like how the red and blue intermixes in the second picture. Pretty boy! I just love bettas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts