The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 29 gallon fresh water(20 inch deep) which i want to carpet with baby tears. I trying to decide between Satellite + Pro and Ray 2. Wondering if any one of you had experience with these and any recommendations. I currently have finnex planted plus 24/7 and looking to upgrade.

Thanks
Shane

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I would plan on using CO2 injection or Excel with either of the light's mentioned if trying to grow carpet plant's.
I say this because while PAR may be plenty at substrate for the carpet plant(s),those plant's higher in the water column (taller), will be subject to even more PAR. And while the carpet may take off,, those plant's receiving more PAR nearer the surface will quickly begin to suffer due to lack of CO2 and possibly nutrient's under very high lighting.
Algae then becomes more problematic.
Is the light energy hitting the leaves, that drives the demand for CO2 and nutrient's and is why I would be considering Seachem Excel, or CO2 injection.
Just sayin,be careful when upgrading to more light energy and maybe reduce the number of hour's the new lighting is on for a few week's.
Plant's are much slower to respond to changes than algae.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the headsup. I was planning on using dosing seachem excel as needed. Right now i am trying to decide which led to get before i start buying the plants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have a Satellite Plus Pro on a 29 gallon tank. I think it will be enough light for what you want.

You might have to move it around from time to time. I have mine sitting on the glass canopy, and it doesn't cover the whole bottom of the tank well (back and front, all corners) which might matter if you want a lush carpet.

CO2 would probably be a good idea, but I'm going without. I did run CO2 when I first planted the tank, but have since tapered off without too much of an algae problem. (I have a carpet of Marsilea, DHG, and Lilaeopsis.)

I run the light for 4 hours in the morning, five hours off, four hours on in the evening.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think DHG doesn't really require high end lighting but what about marsilea and lilaeopsis ? Do they require good lighting? Are they doing good with the current? I heard baby tears require really high lighting.

Thanks for the tip on moving the led to get a good carpet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
The Marsilea and Lilaeopsis are doing well. Though weirdly, the Marsilea leaves are huge in that tank. They are tiny in my low-light tanks, but under the Satellite they've gotten huge.

IME, HC doesn't require a lot of light. I have some in a medium light low-tech tank, and Diana Walstad uses it in her shrimp bowls. It does need CO2 if you plant with fast-growing plants. It doesn't compete well with other plants for CO2, so if you're not injecting CO2, plant it with slow-growing plants like java fern, anubias, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.